Pistol Smith Forum banner

Help: Glock vs. HK

8K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  10-Ring 
#1 ·
Well, first off let me start by saying that I'm a die hard 1911 fan, but I'm considering buying a plastic gun here and I don't know nearly as much about either the HK or the Glock. The models I'm interested in are the HK USP .45 or the Glock 21/30 in .45. Any reason why I should pick one over the other or should I just stick to the 1911's? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I once had the combat tupperware bug and had to get one.. I researched myself crazy between glock and h&k.. I decided on the USP 45/C/STS. and feel i made the best choice.. I liked the more robust slide and barrel, dove tailed front site, SAFETY, steel mags, fully supported chamber, feel, and the overall look of the gun.. Though one can`t deny the huge success of the glock, i feel it falls short of the h&k USP.. -Gilmore

#5 ·
I think the HK is a better offensive weapon, and the glocks are better defensive weapons.

With that said, I can't shoot my HK USP all that fast because the trigger reset is so long. The HK's are more accurate in general than my Glocks, and are better built.

But the Glocks do shoot, and they're simple and they work. I think recoil management is slightly better on a Glock also. No geegaws to fumble with - just aim n' shoot.

In .45 I might go for the HK as the thick glocks (20 and 21) feel a bit too bulky to me.

The USP compact has always been a good "pointer" for me - ie I point the gun at something and the sights are aligned.

HK accessories are overpriced. The same clip on flashlight for HK (made by the same people as the one for Glock) is about 100 bucks more than the Glock version. Mags cost more too.

Find someone who owns both and go shoot 'em. Then make up your mind.

G
#6 ·
The tactical is a much better gun than the model 21 excepting the trigger, but Teddy Jacobson can fix the trigger for you.

The USP45C in SS w/night sights would be my first choice FWIW.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-08-16 19:07 ]</font>

#7 ·
Just my prefererence. I would go with the H&K. One of my big decision factors in my decision between H&K and Glock was that I can't trust a hammerless pistol. I know that when I see the hammer spring forward it's gonna go * BANG *.

#10 ·
I currently own 6 Glocks and 1 H&K .40 Fullsize. I owned a Glock 21 5 years ago, but sold it-it was too big for my hands. I have never shot a H&K .45 fullsize, but I will comment on the Glock vs. H&K question. Both are outstanding pistols, each have their own excellent qualities. The H&K is truly a fine pistol and you can tell from the feel it is a solid pistol. The Glocks are also exellent pistols and well made, but I think the H&K has a smoother feel to it. I like both brands very much and would not trade my Glock 23 or 30 for anything. My next pistol, after my RRA comes in, will be a H&K .45 fullsize. I will say one thing, the Glock is really a home gunsmith pistol, they are so simple to work on it is silly. The H&K on the other hand, I will leave to my'smith.

77Bronc

#11 ·
I am also a die hard 1911 fan. The H&K just felt better in my hand. The H&K is modeled after the 1911 and closely resembles the way a 1911 would rest in your hand. Also, the slide release and safety are in the same position as a 1911.

Another option would be the Wilson KZ45. I have one of those also. Slimmer than the H&K, accurate, 10+1 rounds and a 1911 Style.

I did not like the trigger on the H&K after being spoiled with good 1911 triggers. I sent my H&K off Teddy Jacobson for work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RMark on 2002-03-21 00:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RMark on 2002-03-21 00:55 ]</font>

#12 ·
There is another question that needs to be answered before you choose, and that is, "What are gonna do with it?" If you are going to carry it concealed, if you are carrying it as a service weapon, or if you are going to just target shoot matters.
I have fired many handguns in my life, and I own 1 = a H&K-USP-45 full size blued. I like the level of engeneering, I like the fact that there is a safety, I like the way it "points" in MY hand, I like the fact that the mags are metal not plastic, I like the fact that the barrel is supported so well, I like the fact that it can be SA or DA WITH a decocker, etc... So after all of my research that is what I bought. The only thing I would change on the USP is the trigger a little bit. I love most Glock's too, I like thier trigger a little better (not a deal breaker) but I like to have a safety that I can see and flip. I carry concealed, but I am not an officer, so that means I hope to never need it, but if I have to carry it around every day I want to know there is a solid safety. If I were a cop, with a much higher likleyhood of having to pull it I may opt for the streamlined Glock with nothing but a trigger. I must say I do like the recoil of my big 45 much better than the snappy 40 or 9.
So figure out what your intentions with it are and go from there.
FWIW that's my two bits
LionHeart!

#13 ·
Well here is my opinion for what it is worth...
I own 2 Glocks in 9mm a 19 and a 26, I also own a HK USP Compact in .40S&W.

If I had to choose between any caliber Glock or HK I would take the HK in a heart beat. I'll tell you why.

HK has over the Glock:
Metal sights (Glocks are plastic I busted the front one on the 26)
Fully supported chamber. Metal mags. Option for single action trigger. Decoker. External saftey. Far superior slide lock. Higher frame strength. More accurate (I just shot a 0.6 inch 5 shot group at 15 yards today, thats out of a barrel just over 3.5inches). Superior ergonomics, it points much better for me (my opinion). The list goes on and on.

Glock has over the HK??? Nothing.

The shooter beside me today at the range had rented a .40 Glock 23 today to review before buying he argued the police all carry them, I explained that is generally because they are a government dept and the Glocks are cheap. I let him shoot my HK USP C in .40 after showing him the 0.6 inch group we then went over the guns comparing the features one at a time. He promptly returned the Glock and told me he was headed for the gun shop. He had been convinced, (the unsupported chamber scared him).

Read the torture and accuracy tests that the US Military subjected the HK SOCOM to.

I carry my HK EVERYWHERE EVERYDAY.
Cocked and locked condition one.
You should too!!

High Speed Low Drag

#14 ·
Now for an opposing view point. I do think the HKs are built stronger. They do have better sights. I like to be able to pick from all the variants. Yes, metal mags seem more durable. Yes, I would rather have a hammer than a striker.
Two things about the HK that I don't like are the heavy trigger and the inability to work on them. I have rented the USP9 and 40 and both DA seem really long, heavy and stagey and the single action seems very heavy. With the Glocks I can and have done all my own smithing. Including a 3lb trigger that is consistent and breaks very cleanly. Am I wrong about not being able to working on H&Ks myself?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Coop57 on 2002-04-03 11:19 ]</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.