Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a Kahr P40 and went to the range the try it out. While shooting, I experienced problems with the magazine staying locked. I thought it may have been my grip on the pistol so I made a point to avoid the release; however, I still experienced problems with the magazine trying to out. I tried different manufacturers ammo but to no avail. I fired over 200 rounds however I am still having problems getting the magazine to stay in the pistol. This will get critical for me very quickly since this was going to be my carry pistol. Any help, suggestions or opinions as to the cause of the problem will be appreciated.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The Kahr "P" pistols tension the mag catch with a thin leaf spring that runs up the inside of the frontstrap...similar to Glock's arrangement. You might want to call the manufacturer and see if they can provide a heavier spring. The mag catch itself could be out-of-spec. Given that these are inexpensive parts, perhaps the factory would send them to you for the asking.

If all else fails, return the pistol to its maker for repair.

Rosco

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went ahead and sent the pistol back to Kahr for repair. It appears that the spring is in fact the problem. I just didn't know why they let the pistol out of the plant without checking this to begin with.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I agree that these sort of things shouldn't slip past the factory's final inspection process...but Murphy's Law has not been repealed.

Given the expense of shipping a pistol nowadays, I would ask the factory to cover my shipping costs (or throw in an extra magazine with the returned pistol).

Rosco

·
Registered
19 Posts
My brand new P9 has the same problem. Seems the mag catch is missing its top edge and won't stay in the magazine's notch. After firing only 18 rounds, this is one cheesy piece. I'll call Kahr tomorrow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I sent my pistol back to Kahr, I paid the shipping thru fed ex, but that was only because I didn't want to have to coordinate being home when they had someone come to my house from fed ex to get it. They offered to. Thinking about it later, they probably would have given me a number for fed ex if I hadn't said don't bother.

Todd

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks.
I sent my P9 back last week, but I sent it through my dealer who can send it cheaper. I didn't ask them if they would pay the shipping, but if I have to send it in again I will.

Thanks,
Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.