Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in another topic, I just bought an unfired series 70 government model. I was told it was unusual, but thought maybe some of you experts could help out. The serial number starts with SM. Any info? Also, my wife thinks it should remain unfired and I guess she is correct, at least until I get more info, but it will kill me to not use it! What say you?

·
Registered
934 Posts
If you want it to be a monetary investment than shooting it would obviously cause you some loss in value. However, if you don't plan on selling it for a hefty profit in the future, but just want a keeper or a legacy piece than by all means shoot it.

Of course this is coming from someone who won't buy a pistol that will never be shot. I shoot EVERYTHING I own. I PLAN on shooting everything I will ever own.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
...better give it to yer' wife and buy another series 70 to shoot...If you really like the dang thing, how're ya' gonna' live with yerself if you don't shoot it? Seriously...there were thousands of series 70 pistols made...Which is it?

G

·
I don't know if any experts will help you?
but SM is a frame from a Service Mod Ace
Prefix (looks like a std ser 70 frame)
78-82 if memory serves.

geo ><>

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called Cindy at Colt this morning and she said it was originally shipped as a .22 Ace! Someone went to a great deal of trouble to make a box to match it! The box is one of the brown, fake wooden, looking types that appears old and has the following information on it (appearing original!):
.45 acp 5" Blue
GVT. Model MKIV
model 1970
and the correct serial number!

Weird, isn't it! I guess it will be a shooter! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Big Arm

I work at a gunshop in New Mexico and we have a new in the box 1991A1 five inch in 38 Super. Colt has told us that this gun was never made and that is true as Colt has never shown a 5 inch 1991A1 chambered in 38 Super. They cannot advise how this gun came to be made in this caliber.

We also have an enhanced Series 80 Commander which is NIB. It is also chambered in 38 Super. Colt says that their records show this gun to be a 45 ACP. Both guns are in Colt blue plastic boxes with correct markings.

I guess my reason for this thread is Cindy's information may not be totally correct. It is possible that your gun was made in this configuration at the factory and shipped.

Just my .02.

Duke

·
Registered
151 Posts
Big Arm
The best the shop owner and I can come up with is the following. When Colt was taking their guns off the civilan market, workers must have built guns from left over parts and sent them out to clean up inventory. This resulted in guns being made in calibers that Colt has never cataloged. They were sent out with the correct markings and paperwork.

If you have a 1991A1 in 38 Super hang onto it as it may be worth more in the future. Colt has never cataloged a 1991A1 in 38 Super. We have placed the Enhanced Commander in 38 Super back in the vault. For what it is worth these two 1911's were put together right, no play in slides, barrels and bushings fitted and 4 pound triggers.

Duke

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.