Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1971 Colt Commander and I would like to add new style sights. My Commander has the standard combat notched rear and post front. Is there a Novak style rear that will fit into the standard notch or do I have to have the rear of the slide machined to fit the new style rear sights. I am considering the Novak bar dot. Does anyone have experiance with these?
Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sights are a very subjective area. The Novak low-mounts you mentioned would work fine. I prefer the Heinie SlantPro's in this application.

If you wish to avoid machining the slide for a low-mount rear sight, Robar offers a very smooth fixed rear sight that fits the existing dovetail (you'll still need a higher-than-GI front sight).

As to tritium dots/bars. I find that I'm content to just have a tritium dot in the front sight.

Rosco

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for helping out guys. I went to Robars webpage and I can't find a listing for sights. Is there another place I can look to see a picture of these sights. Also what is the web address for Chip McCormick. Has anybody tried the Ashleys for the Colts. Are they a drop in? Is the standard dot o.k. for target shooting?
Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well thanks for the help guys. I placed an order today for a set of Nowlin Lo Mounts with a black rear and a tritium front. They are supposed to be as Low as Novaks but use the existing dovetail with no cutting. I will let ya'll know how it turns out.
JBH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.