Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the AO big dot front sight with a novak half ghost rear sight. Does anyone have experience with this combo. Seems like it would be a good one. I am looking for a set up that works well witha vision problem that causes me not to be able to see the sights about 30% of the time. I want to use the smaller dot with tritium. and the rear tritium on the NOvak.

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
The ashley express big dots,
are great for down and dirty fast
center mass shooting.

I would stay with Ashley rear vertical
line or vertical tritium.

The vertical rear line gives an option
for some precision alignment.

JB

·
Registered
580 Posts
FWIW, Ashley's Express sights get their elevation "adj." by replacing their REAR
with one of a different height.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just recently got an Infinity compact 40 cal gun that I had on order for a year. I ordered the gun with the Novak "ghost" sights with the tritium dot in both front and rear sights thinking this would be similar to The Heinie straight eight sights. I have Heinies on several other guns. With the Novak Ghost sights, I find that they are fast to obtain an initial sight picture and you can judge how to line up the sights well in the vertival plane, but the rear sight has such a large opening and it is dificult to get a proper sight picture in the horizontal plane. The Novak Ghost sights work best for close up shooting where you might use what some call a flash sight picture. I have really bad luck using them for any shot beyond about 10-12 yds. For me, I prefer the Heinie sights where there is a smaller notch in the rear sight. I shoot just as well up close with the Heinies, but then have much better luck at distances beyond 15 yds. with the Heinie sights. I think the rear Novak Ghost sight combined with the AO big dot front sight would be OK on a compact gun where you would use it on close shots with a quick presentation using a flash sight picture and primarily looking at the front sight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A couple of thoughts. The reason the Big Dot sights fail to be accurate at beyond 10-15 yards is that the size of the dot is too big. At moderate distance, the dot, superimposed on the target, completely covers the target and there is no reference point then to center the front sight on the target (or between the edges of the target, if you will). Also, I have found that the "V" rear sight is too shallow.
For the last 2 years I have used Prosights. They have 2 advantages in my opinion. 1. The front sight is of "normal" size, but it become extremely visible and fast to pick up due to the red fiber optic in the front sight. I found that I can pick up and am aware of the front sight way before I get a "perfect" sight picture. Also, the "V" rear sight (which is fully adjustable) is a bit deeper, which allows for precise shoots. I do not find my accuracy suffers with these sights. I have engaged targets successfully at distance (30-40 yards)and have seen targets engaged at 100 yards.

Hope this helps.

Howard Benz
Memphis, TN

Below is a link for pictures of the sights.
http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.ph ... 12&forum=8

Also, Check out this web page.
http://www.tacticalshooting.com/pages/video.htm
It provides Also there are several video clips of the sights in action!

Respectfully,
Howard Benz - Memphis

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: benzh on 2001-07-19 21:10 ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.