Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing relatively cheap slides and barrels (with a mean looking comp on the end) for the .460 Rowland -- Cabelas is even selling one. What is the real poop with this caliber ? :???:

G

·
I have a Kimber custom that I fitted a Clark barrel and comp on.

It shoots very well and the recoil is stout but not at all brutal or umanageable.

The Georgia Arms 230gr GD loading averages 1,200fps from my gun and my best group to date has been 1.3" @ 25 yards.

It is a very powerful round that is well suited to hunting applications.

One point to remember is that driving the GD to excessive velocities only improves or increase the overall penetration depth.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Dave. After seeing your tests with JHP's I was under some confusion with what your favorite JHP load is (assuming that I, the concerned citizen and NOT LEO can go legally buy it.) Are GD or GS your favorite ? And getting back to topic, Have you hunted with your .460 ? The news I've heard again seems it is trying to approach the realm of a .44Mag but I don't know if I beleive that.

G

·
I have not as yet utilized the .460 as my primary hunting arm.

I have however taken quite a bit of game with the 10mm 200gr Norma and have found it to work quite well at 1,200 fps, passing through most medium to large deer sized game, leaving a good exit wound to allow rapid blood lose.

The 30gr difference is not substantial and I would expect the 230gr bullet at 1,200 fps to be very similar.

As to a "favorite" round, I do not really have one “all around favorite”.

In each caliber I have a short list of bullets that I prefer and manufacturers do vary by caliber.

In .45acp for General LEO/Citizen, I strongly recommend the Winchester Ranger T 230gr +P when used in a 5" handgun.
For the non-LEO, 5” gun my pick is the Black Hills 230gr+P GD or XTP loading.

4" handgun, I recommend the 200gr XTP +P or 200gr GD +P.
3-3.5" handgun the Winchester 185gr Silvertip or the .185gr GD+P.

From an 11-16" carbine the Federal EFMJ 200gr+P is my first choice with the Hornandy 230gr+P as my second choice.

I do not recommend the .45 185gr or 230gr G.S. in its current designs and do not recommend any of the thin jacketed Sierra or pre-fragmented rounds at any velocity.
I strongly recommend against the .165gr bullets in all current .45acp loadings, if Hornandy or Speer would manufacture this load with a bullet that will not fail it would have the potential to be a very, very effective round closely duplicating the best 10mm wound ballistics profiles.

As an alternative to any of the above "premium" or semi-limited availability rounds I would feel very well armed with a 5" pistol and the Winchester or Federal Classic 230gr JHP 850fps loads.

Driving the 230gr GD round to 1,200 fps is very impressive and does move the "power" factor up quite a bit, but driving the tough jacketed bullets like the GD and the GS to higher velocities does not increase the ballistic wound profile exponentially.
It does greatly increase the penetration depth these bullets can reach, I would expect 22-26" of gelatin penetration from the .460 Rowland.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BigBoy said:
Thanks for the reply Dave. After seeing your tests with JHP's I was under some confusion with what your favorite JHP load is (assuming that I, the concerned citizen and NOT LEO can go legally buy it.) Are GD or GS your favorite ? And getting back to topic, Have you hunted with your .460 ? The news I've heard again seems it is trying to approach the realm of a .44Mag but I don't know if I beleive that.
Based upon ballistic data from Remington's Web site http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistic ... rembal.htm
compared with our own experience and that of customer reports, the 460 Rowland is comparable to 44 Remington Magnum. We have had reports (complete with photos) of customers taking game from white tail deer, mule deer, boar, elk, black bear, cougar, and a cow moose.
http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

Renee Tyson
Customer Service
Clark Custom Guns, Inc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.