Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a BHP preban and Walther P5 at my local gun store . .both under $600 . . .both fit my hand well . . which would you pick and why? thanks for your replies

·
Registered
194 Posts
Don't know exactly what a pre-ban Browning is, but if it's not mint and purely made in Belgium, it may be a bit high depending on how big a bit under 600 is. Same with the P-5 standard model as far as price.

I do own both High Powers and P-5 Compacts. Like them both. If absolutely forced to make a choice between them, I'd personally opt for the HP. Since I own both, I might rationalize choosing the HP for a holster gun for open/semi-concealed wear and the P-5 Compact for concealment but the difference between the longer barrel of the Browning is balanced by the fatter girth of the P-5 and is pretty moot.

I do, however, like the P-5 Compacts in a Null SMRZ shoulder rig and one of their IWB rigs for long term wear as concealment pieces even though they are thicker than the HP. In reality, though, for casual concealed carry, if I'm not carrying a revolver and opt for a 9mm, I often simply thrust the HP in the waistband and have done with it.

When all is said and done, it's really hard to beat the Browning High Power for a reliable, accurate, functional, and graceful sidearm--except, of course, for a good reworked commercial Colt Government Model.

Don't own a Walther P-5 standard, though I do prefer the longer barrel with a 9mm. Despite a preference for the longer barrel of the P-5, I deliberately chose the P-5 Compact with its Browning style mag release rather than opting for one serious carry weapon (actually a pair) which uses a totally different magazine release than any other autoloader I own. That was enough to make the choice for me.

You might also want to consider the availability of magazines which you need for a serious carry piece. The HP mags are more readily available even in High Cap and less expensive than the single column P-5 mags. I shouldn't think one would consider owning a serious carry autoloader with fewer than 12 magazines--which I arrive at by one in the gun and 4 in two belt pouches, plus an extra five to rotate, and two laid back for spares to replace defective mags.

Spart parts could be a consideration, though the folks at InterArms once told me that the only problem they'd ever had with parts breakage on the P-5 family was with the wooden grip panels so they had zero experience factor there in putting together a spare parts kit. Still, obviously, HP parts are much easier to acquire nowadays.

Selection of grips, holsters, and aftermarket accessories are easier with the HP as well though I can't imagine what one would need to further accessorize the P-5C unless one wanted to go to the hassle of legally owning a supressor.

Hope this is helpful....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would tell you to buy the P5. It is a great pistol and it's a 100% German Walther pistol.

I have both the P5 and the P5C. The C is my warm weather carry pistol.

I've owned several HP's over the years. The last was highly modified by EGW in PA. It was a great shooter. Lost my shirt when I sold it though.

The stock HP has always cut up my shooting hand. The HP will ride nicely concealed but then so will the P5.

Tough choice but I still vote for the P5. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ditto, go for P-5. Here is why:

1. its field stripping system is a lot easier and far less likely to end up throwing the recoil spring into your eyes or getting lost (especially in the field).

2. Its lock-up system is similar to Berretta, except it is a lot stronger due to its use of twin captive recoil spring in the back.

3. Its lock-up system has a lot less internal friction than browning tilting barrel lock-up, another word, it needs less lubricant than browning. Less likely to attract sand, less oil leak into your holster or clothing. For the same reason, it is the only one can use Robar NP-3 internal treatment for very long-term basis. NP-3 applied to Browning internal does not last as long.

4. It's DA. Browning i SA. If you ever get involved in justified shooting, it's very difficult for District attorney to come after you with negligent manslauther charge. With SA, better get a good lawyer (Expensive), and lotsa luck!

5. To my eyes, P-5 is very unque looking, very handsome, businesslike. Browning and the clones are everywhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't mind being British. I've been a lawyer for twenty years now. Never heard of murder charges being filed based solely on the distinction of the assailant carrying a single action nor a double action weapon. But anyone who is not a lawyer probably will tell you otherwise.

BTW, how sunny is London these days? :eek:

·
Registered
69 Posts
London is very sunny and hot at the moment :D I hope it lastes till next week when I'm on leave.

Go with the BHP, it's gotta be in the top 4 greatest pistols of all time, the ergonomics are great. The BHP is still going strong after nearly 70 years...

·
Registered
22 Posts
The P-35 is the international weapon of choice. The only improvement on this international fighting pistol is the Beretta 92FS.

The P5 is a fine pistol. But when it comes to an internationally accepted military battle pistol, it is either the P-35 or the Beretta 92.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey Fuego, did you notice the date on this thread?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Bwaaaaahahahahaha! I've been gone a sec and came to check out PS today. Hilarious how many old threads I've seen come back up and even took part in! I love it.

Something tells me ol' fuego is a military man. I swear, I have NEVER heard another shooter say the m9 was the ONLY improvement over the P35. I hope I'm wrong, though. It'll only add to alabaster's "odd experience list".

IMHO, the BHP is arguably one of the finest 9millies ever. Right up there with the CZ75. The Beretta gets passed right over. I understand the idea that the military adopted it, but daaaaaaaaaamn. Cracked slides, almost comedic grip circumference, absurdly loooong trigger reach. I know very few shooters who honestly do well with a 92. Even the safety was a Euro-failure to alabaster. I mean, even Taurus knew to put it on the frame, for goodness sake! Okay, enough Beretta hating, I'm sorry. To each his own. If alabaster is voting for a metal framed 9mm though, he's going for a CZ or a BHP.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey Al, while you're correct about the Army version, Beretta did make the original with a frame mounted safety and no hammer drop.

·
Registered
385 Posts
retDAC, thanks for the info. I was unaware of that. I was told they made it like that and in a full-auto version with a frame mounted safety/select lever, but I've never seen one and have not confirmed it to be true. There's a lot I don't know apparently.

I just googled it and have now seen both assuming the pics are real, which I have no reason to believe otherwise. The Machine pistol was a 93R, which I remember reading about in a pistol history book. I still have yet to see one in person, but it sounds kewl to me!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well Alabaster maybe if you'd get off that couch once in a while you'd have seen a Beretta 93R in person by now! :D

Yeah I've been at the range when one was being fired, got to hold but not shoot it for myself.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Teehee. I wish that was the case. THat's when I lived in FL. I worked 70+hrs a week then, but when I eas off I was either on the couch or riding my bike all over the Tampa area. Nowadays I spend almost every waking minute trying to get BACK to Florida, but almost never get to be on the couch. My wife n Roxy(My dog in that pic) on the other hand, well....

Look what you did. You went n made me all self conscious and defensive.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well given the lack of traffic on this board you sure can't feel like I embarrassed you in front of anything like a crowd! :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts