Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies to my friends at THE GENDARME and Ken Hackathorn for not getting these photos up earlier. I am computer illiterate and finally had one of my buddies open the broken file today....ninja computer workings :grin:

Enjoy! And thanks for sending them guys!

Sights by Bud Price circa 1978

Dave Pegram 45 ACP

Red Deem

1984 Wayne Novak

Early Steve Nastoff

Interesting to me is that I hade never seen these pictures before today or any of Nastoff's work out side one picture in an old AMERICAN HANDGUNNER. Easy to make some comparisons to recent postings.

· Registered
26 Posts
A few notes on the guns pictured for those who might be interested.

The Bud Price guns are a 38 Super{with Swenson safety} and a 45ACP Commander..These were built in the pre-beavertail days.

The Dave Pegram gun has seen some hard use..Note the taper on the serations flanking the silver soldered fron sight.

Red Deem worked for Novak and opened his own shop for a short period of time; Tactical Conversions..This is the second gun he built out of his own shop..It reflects much of the Novak{Swenson] style and sports slim Speigal stocks.

The Novak gun was built on an Ace frame with a GI Natl. Match slide when Wayne was still building guns{Matt Smith worked for Wayne at the time}. It is a truly premium pistol reflecting cosmetics similar to Swensons'
, who Wayne worked for prior to moving to Parkersburg, WV..Wayne, like many well known 'smith, learned his hard fitting skills from John Miller..This pistol is still deadly accurate and 100% reliable after who knows how many thousands of rounds.

The Nastoff gun was built in the late 70s or early 80s..It was shot extensively in IPSC competition and Retired in 1984..The only malfunction that ever occurred, out of countless thousands of rounds, was at Gunsite in l984 during the school exercises on the last day of a 250. The base Series 70 Govt Model for this pistol cost $125 at the time on the used market.

Hope you enjoy the photos and info.....

outa here

· Registered
185 Posts
It is amazing over the years how the advancements of technology and just plain common sense have concentrated on this one gun. The 1911. I read somewhere that the 1911 is the most customized gun ever made. The article also mention second most customized was the Browning High Power.

Strange may be the wrong word but both are designs by the same guy.

· Registered
239 Posts
Great stuff, keep these coming! Kinda cool how we've now gone back to what *was* the pinnacle of custom 1911 development in the late 80's and early 1990's. Those older guns may lack some of the technological refinements we have now, but they still exude class and workmanship. Cool!

· Registered
147 Posts
Can you re-post the pics, Dane?

I'd love to see them, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.