Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Very cool rifle indeed! I have had the opportunity to play with the G36, G36K as well as the new PDW (from the cover of the big German HK book released last year). There are also pics of the UMP and the MP5SD as well.

I'm the one wearing the GSSF Hat shooting the HK's! :wink:

Click here for some pictures.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks!

I was speaking more about the G36C though. I've tried the G36K but didn't care at all for the HK type of integral optics. I thought they were way too small for serious work. The C is a bit more size efficient for my need. I was hoping to find someone that may have been using the C for some time to give me an indication of how well it held up to extensive shooting. Its probably too new to tell.

The UMP was kinda fun to shoot. Light weight and robust, though I didn't think it quite as accurate as an MP5/10 and not as easily controlled in full auto either.

G

·
I'm very jealous now.....
Sorry to say that I have yet to demo the new PDW.

I have spent a fair amount of time playing with a UMP .45acp fitted with 0-1-2 and have found it to be quite enjoyable.

It is accurate, completely reliable and remakably easy to control.

I am very anxious to get my hands on some 4.6x30mm to test.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wooops - my bad...

At the time I was playing with the other G36's, the C model was elsewhere on a T&E or a demo. Also there were only 2 of the C's in the country and the other one was broken :roll: .

I have not yet had a chance to play with the C model :mad:

For some additional information and pictures - refer here.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stephen on 2001-10-09 18:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent pics there Steve...

Well we had the two Cs. One went kaput early on and is being replaced. An anomoly I believe. They are or were supposedly preproduction guns. I'm hoping the new one will march on.

I don't believe that the height of the optics are much of a problem. The only consideration would be as to where you have the thing sighted in at...you might have to think about where your "scheduled" engagements might occur versus say a "pop up target" and the distance where it might present itself.

David, I agree that the UMP was enjoyable. And reliable as a rock. Relatively accurate. I didn't employ any optical sights but went with the regular (I would say iron but they are plastic) sights. I thought the plastic sights were a bit too "thick" and not did not present quite as fine a sight picture as a standard MP5. While it is controllable in full auto, it wasn't as controllabe as the MP5/10 in full auto. If you kept it to a 2-3 round burst, things worked out. Though to be fair, I have more time on the 10 so that is probably a factor.

It would have been nice to have had an MP5/45 years ago. A missed "boat". But I would take the UMP nevertheless.

I couldn't get too excited about the new PDW. Those ballistics don't do it for me. But I'm sure it has its application somewhere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LW McVay on 2001-10-10 07:54 ]</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.