Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What else do you folks do in your spare time? Here's a couple of my favorite pastimes...

Racing Sailplanes, and

Top Fuel Dragbike racing

BTW, built both of these myself. Now have another sailplane under construction out in the shop. Life's guuud! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dpcdivr on 2001-07-26 13:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
My hobbies seem to change when the injuries from my last one make me do somthing else. Right now, besides shooting and following my bird dogs around with a shotgun, I help coach my daughter's softball team, and just hang with my girls. Best hobby in the world is watching your kids explore this big ol' planet.

Getting the itch back to do something dirt bike related though, always thought Baja would be a fun place to race....

Gliders...always wanted to be in one, looks like a gas.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello All, Voce. that role playing games sounds pretty kinky, back leather and whips maybe? I try to fish the salt water 4-5 times a year, fresh a few more than that. Amateur desert rat ( Moab Utah,Big Bend Tx )
and visit a few ghost towns and mining camps in northen New Mexico and southern Colorado. I enjoy bird hunting with someone elses dogs, shoot blackpowder and try to collect good blades. Oh yeah also an amatuer chili cook.
Later
Gerald

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Fishing, maintaining the best lawn on the street, keeping the 5.0L Mustang shiny and fast, and fighting with our 14 year old daughter for internet time. :wink:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. Besides hunting, and reloading, and shooting, I am currently incubating duck eggs (mallards), raising the ducks and giving them to good homes. I also enjoy feeding birds via bird feeders and seeing how many I can identify. My deer hunting buddies and I are also Texas Concealed Handgun Instructors and teach CHL for a modest profit which is used to feed deer at our lease year round. We are seeing results in deer horns and healthy little deer now that we're in our 4th year at feeding.

During the day, I trade stocks and options to supplement my retirement. I enjoy that like a "hobby."

Probably a one-time hobby project was removing the moss/algae from the pond behind my home. Unfortunately, I was forced to join a homeowners' association that viewed this as a negative, mainly because I didn't say, "Mother May I." Screw 'em. It was getting like a cess pool back there and we used no chemicals. Another fellow and myself cut the weeds/pulled them by hand and then just picked up the moss and removed it from the pond. We removed 64 garbage bags of the stuff in 3 days or maybe 7 hours total work.
We weighed a few of the bags after the water had drained off and they averaged between 35 and 40 lbs. Guess what? "My" pond is clean and pleasant while the other ponds are covered with moss and algae. The home owners' association insinuates that we used chemicals; I told them to test the water and they'd find that the only "chemical" added might be sweat. So, bettering my surroundings and irritating the home owners' association must be a hobby, too!

Also have a small waterfall/pond in my yard and enjoy raising goldfish there.

Dang, my orbits have become tame since retiring from police work!

Best to all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
right now my hobbies include looking for new job. I can feel axe starting to swing at my current place of employment so I am getting the jump on the lay offs. I also enjoy Mtn Biking, kayaking, hiking, and rock climb.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My other hobby is my car. Have been modifying it to optimize it for great overall performance, without going overboard...things like sport springs, sway bars, short shifter, cold air intake, etc.
Here is my daily ride:

I also hit the gym 3 times a week for weight training. I'm far from a big guy (rather skinny), but I like to exercise to keep trim and fit.
Also a big music fan. I don't really play much now, but I used to be a very dedicated classical pianist (amatuer). I almost did goto music school (I got accepted into 2 major schools), but passed on it for a few reasons. I still often regret not going for it, since piano was one of the few things that I truly excelled at as a youngster.
Picked up a little rhythm guitar a few years ago when I was in college, and still do that once in a while.
Also enjoy electronics, like computers and home entertainment.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Well, I've been mountain biking since the mid 80's. I think this industry have alot they can learn from that industry in terms of material and metallurgy. Those guys are always seeking the cutting edge.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Big thing for me in the fall and winter is bird hunting, and working the dog. I flyfish in the summer whenever I can ( not nearly enough). I also like to read and try out gourmet recipes on the wife and kid. I buy cut and polish gem grade opals too as a hobby ( this one drives me nuts ). If you think options trading is risky, you should never work with opals. :>)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Horses, fly fishing year round & some bird hunting. Spoiled to S. Texas Quail, Georgia Turkey and South of the border Duck.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tinkering with...what else...my 79 Bronco...he he

Guitar...Just a word of caution...you must be careful with your hobbies....I ended up owning a guitar store.

I love camping and hiking....My wife and I used to ride bike alot...My knee doesn't allow that anymore. :sad:

My kids are kind of my main hobbie...but...they sure grow up fast...the oldest turned 21 a little while ago...and the baby...is just about 12.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is sitting on the recliner with a half-empty beercan watching American Shooter considered a hobby?

Anyways, I like to mountain bike and bowl every once in a while...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have about 3 main hobbies that I kind of rotate through on about a 6-12 month schedule (not planned, that's just kind of how I work). I go between all kinds of shooting, model and high power rocketry, and model airplanes (free flight). I'm also looking at getting a pilot's license and building my own plane (be a lot of years and dollars before that one is very likely!).

Patarick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Pistol shooting is my main hobby. Love Model R.R.(used to paint and detail HO Locos & Rolling stock - to Prototype). I also collect early model Die Cast 1/18 scale Autos, Case Pocket Knives, and dable a little bit in a few coins... My hobbies keep me broke but at least I have plenty to keep me busy since I can no longer work full time due to physical challenges.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.