Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have tried to read and research styles and materials for my first concealed carry holster. Due to legal constraints, it will not be worn all the time (though I am sure there will be some periods it will be worn all day). I know the design and aesthetics vary widely and are based on individual need/want. So, that being said, should it be leather, nylon, or Kydex? Just how labor intensive is leather upkeep? I have heard/read things for and against all of them. Does it matter if it is a large frame or a compact? I am more interested in
comfort and construction than flashy materials. Is the difference between a $30 holster and a $100 holster finish and a name?

Thanks for any more info ahead of time. And yes, I know I need a good gun belt :smile:

Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
At this point 41 people have looked, yet none have responded. This either means a whole lot of others ALSO want to find out or I am the only clueless one in here.

Please, help a guy out with some of your wisdom.

Rick

·
Registered
25 Posts
You probably don't have many reponses yet because your questions are very open ended, and are basically subjective.

also, searches on kydex, leather care, IWB, etc. will lead you to multiple threads which beat these topics to death.

For the record, I carry a glock 23 in a BladeTech IWB holster with a Kramer horsehide belt, and the setup works really well.

I also have an Alessi belt / GWH combo on order through Dane for a 1911 model.

Regards,
Francis

·
Registered
849 Posts
On 2001-08-21 13:48, RDMartin wrote:
Okay, I have tried to read and research styles and materials for my first concealed carry holster. Due to legal constraints, it will not be worn all the time (though I am sure there will be some periods it will be worn all day). I know the design and aesthetics vary widely and are based on individual need/want. So, that being said, should it be leather, nylon, or Kydex? Just how labor intensive is leather upkeep? I have heard/read things for and against all of them. Does it matter if it is a large frame or a compact? I am more interested in
comfort and construction than flashy materials. Is the difference between a $30 holster and a $100 holster finish and a name?

Thanks for any more info ahead of time. And yes, I know I need a good gun belt :smile:

Rick
Rick, I would think your best bet would be to try to obtain feedback from people who you may know that have gone the route of buying holsters until they have found one they like. Expensive doesn't always equate to satisfaction. There are a lot of variables that come into play. Your build, the types of clothing you will be wearing while carrying the gun, and last, but not least, the type of gun you will carry. The level of concealment also comes into play here, and only you can answer that.
Regarding leather upkeep. It's minimal. Keep it dry, and if it get's scuffed it can be waxed and polished with a good shoe polish.
Just like a pair of good leather shoes.
If you have a gun store in your area that stocks holsters, that might be a good place to start. For someone who is new to concealed carry, I would suggest you try as many holsters on before you buy one, if you can. That's where some friends might be able to help.
Lou

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, gentlemen.

Michigan's new shall-issue law has a lot of us asking this same, open-ended question. I have asked some people, but I only know one LEO with concealed carry experience (and he is helping). I'll keep plugging away.

Thanks again.

Rick

·
Registered
22 Posts
Upkeep on a good leather holster is almost nil. The same for Kydex. There are more different holsters than you would imagine and it is difficult for anyone to recommend a specific one for you without knowing more about how you expect to use it.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Another source of info is Trey Bloodworth's Hidden in Plain Sight. It's a pretty thorough examination of the various types of concealment holsters, including IWB, off-body, ankle, etc. He does a nice job of detailing the pros and cons of each type of carry. He also spends some time discussing clothing requirements for CCW. In all a good book on the topic. There's a chart in the back showing draw times from a sampling of shooters using each concealment method. Very handy.

Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.