Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have to admit to being unaware that a gun had to be 'certified' to be sold in Calif. What does this mean? Who certifies the gun? What are the requirments? All this sounds really silly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As best I can understand it from far away, the manufacturer has to give the government three of each model to be certified so the government can destroy them and thereby prove that they are safe for Californians to own.

Or something like that.

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is or was a discussion on this over at http://www.colt380.com. Essentially there are 6 laboratories allowed by the state to certify guns. 3 specimans of each model are submitted and fired a number of rounds to verify they hold together. Then, they are drop tested to see they don't go off. Supposedly, this costs about $35k and then to have it on the approved list the company has to pay the State of Calif. a fee.

The whole scam is just another in a long line of bs to rid the state of guns. The latest proposals call for licensing of handgun owners as in Illinois and having them pass shooting proficiency and safety proficiency tests. I wonder how the new shooter passes the shooting test if he has never shot before?

Bear

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.