Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I recently saw some Hornady "Tactical
Application Police" factory 9mm ammunition for sale in a local shop. Was rushed and didn't get to really read the box for any detail or ask anyone about it.

Does anyone know how this stuff differs from the Hornady "Custom" line of handgun bullets using XTPs? The bullet in the TAP ammo I saw looked like and XTP, but that does not mean that it was an XTP. The TAP bullet was not seated as deeply in the case as is the XTP in the Hornady Custom line.

Any information on velocity, expansion, etc would be appreciated.

Best.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stephen A. Camp on 2001-09-06 23:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello. Below is the response from Mr. Dave Emary with Hornady concerning TAP pistol ammunition:

"In 9mm there are no differences between TAP and Custom. It's just repackaged. There are bullet differences in the .40 S&W and .45 Auto ammunition bullets form the old XTP bullets. However, the changes made for
the Tap ammo bullets were incorporated in the both the component and custom ammo bullets."

Best.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Does that mean they have reduced the penetrating potential of all their bullets? I know the TAP is supposed to give the 'necessary 12" of penetration' but it was my understanding it was shallower penetrating than the regular XTP.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here is what I sent to Hornady:

Dear Sir:

I have read that the changes in the XTP design for TAP ammunition
have been applied to the regular Custom Ammunition line. I wondered
what those changes and improvements were, and would appeciate it if
there was any information you could tell me, or send my way.

Thank you kindly.

--
---telackey

And here is what they replied:

We only changed the Tap rounds the regular ammo and reloading components are
the same.

Hope that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.