Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Saw some Hornady 200 gr TAP "Law Enforcement" ammo today. I have not shot any of it.....yet.

I noted no +P designation on the box, but could have overlooked it. Printed stats on the box show the muzzle velocity @ 1015 ft/sec.

The bullet is of XTP profile, but the hollow cavity did appear deeper. The rest of the non-coated bullet appeared like an XTP and the case was a simple brass case with no plating.

I am told this is supposed to more rapidly expand than the conventional XTP it mimicks.

If anyone's tested it, I'd appreciate hearing about it and I will post my findings when I get hold of a batch to shoot.

Best.

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is a fairly complete article on this stuff in the latest issue of Police Marksman including a few gel tests.

It does not seem to open any larger than XTPs. Velocity for the 230 was 821 from a Sig 220 and the 200 got only 824fps (listed at 880). Curiously enough in a Glock 19 the 147 9mm was only an average of 30 fps slower than the 124.

Muzzle signature is supposed to be outstanding.

I am sure we will learn more presently,
Press on,
Jim Higginbotham

G

·
You guys are ruining my new .45acp JHP gelatin test thread that includes:
Winchester white box 230gr
Aguilla .45acp aluminum JHP
Hornandy .45acp TAP
Charles Kelsey .45acp improved THV round
Cirillo RBCD frangibile .45acp
Triton .45Super .165gr JHP
Speer GD "new" 200gr JHP
Federal .165gr PD JHP

So let's keep this a seceret and let me get back to ruining some more of the wifes pots preparing gelatin...:wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-07 23:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
628 Posts
Speaking of Gelatin, David: where does one purchase calibrated Ordinance Gelatin? Thanks :smile:

G

·
You can purchase ordinance gelatin from kind and knox:
KIND & KNOX DIVISION OF KNOX GELATINE
PARK 80 WEST PLAZA TWO
SADDLE BROOK, NJ
Ph #: (201) 368-2226

I stopped purchasing from them some time ago for cost reasons and have been purchasing from:
Vyse gelatin co.
5010 N. Rose Schiller Pk. ,IL
800-533-2152
Fax 847-678-0329
http://www.vyse.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-07-08 00:35 ]</font>

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the alternate info on the gel David. That place is about 10 minutes from my home. I guess I'll get ahold of some gel to start playing around with the 10mm handloads and the 9x23 stuff. BTW what grade of their gel are you using? 10% or 20%? Semper Fidelis..Ken M

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: EchoFiveMike on 2001-07-08 11:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello. (Sorry, David.) Jim, I find that kind of sad about the 842 ft/sec for the 200 gr TAP .45 ACP, since it's listed at 1015 ft/sec on the box. I'll likely wind up getting some and testing it out of curiosity,
depending on what David DiFabio's information shows as well.

Thanks to all for their responses.

Best.

G

·
Ken,
I have been using 10% and had thought of using 20% but I reread some info Dr. Fackler had relayed on the diffrences.
I will be staying with 10% for now.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Jim, I find that kind of sad about the 842 ft/sec for the 200 gr TAP .45 ACP, since it's listed at 1015 ft/sec on the box.
---------------------------------------

Bear in mind that the rated velocity on the ammo for the article is 880. The box you saw may be a later lot or a +P lot which is not labled +P (find that hard to beleive but anything's possible).

Remember, lead time for a magazine article is about 6 months so things may have changed.

Eargerly await David's reports! What a tireless and helpful guy!

Oh yeah, on Gelatin, I may be dating myself but the last time I fooled with F-ello it was Kind and Knox #250. That may have changed. You don't purchase "calibrated" gel you mix it and test the calibration by firing a BB into it at 590 fps. Off the top of my head I think it is supposed to go about 3.3" but I am not sure... can look it up. There is a formula in "Bullet Penetration...." by MacPherson that you apply if the gel does not calibrate just right.

I recently made a discovery on some reuseable material that almost duplicates 10% gel but is not "elastic" but I have to do a lot of testing before I am ready to report on an easier material to use... in case you are wondering gelatin is a pain in the neck to use right. David is working really hard to bring us this information!

Carry on,
Jim Higginbotham

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.