Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm well aware of the outstanding work of Lou and Sparks. As I decide on a pancake for my new (and first) 1911, I'm also considering Arratoonian. Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Alaska,

Mr. Arratoonian of Horeshoe Leather is a very personable kind of fella and his work is outstanding. He has a very good reputation and I think you would be very pleased with his products.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Too bad Andy won't make LH!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I ordered a IWB Clip holster and was dissapointed. it sits far too deep in the pants and hard to get to, it was for a BHP which already has a small grip to search for.
I called Andy and asked if I could order one that will sit higher or modify the one I got and the answer was NO. (NO as in WTF do you know!?)

workmanship and leather is high level, design less IMO.

·
Registered
515 Posts
When there are folks like Tony Kanaley, Lou Alessi, Mark Waldon, Mike Benedict, Ron Graham, the Schafers, and many others bending leather and kydex so artistically AND treating their customers with respect and excellent service, there is no reason to put up with BS from a cranky prima donna. Besides, we can keep our American dollars in American pockets by using these fine makers.

Rosco

·
Registered
76 Posts
Andy's leather is some of the best in the business. The only complaint I have is that his belt widths seem to be a little different from other makers, so you have to use his belts with his holsters. Not a big deal, since his belts are good, too.

The reason Andy doesn't alter his designs is that he's a one-man shop, and he loses money if he takes the time to deviate from his patterns. I don't think many makers would alter a design for one customer, either. He may be a 'cranky prima donna', but he's also one hell of a holster maker.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sparky315,
I find just the opposite; being a one man shop gives the ability to alter my designs and work with my customers to give them exactly what they what. Isn't that what custom means? I've never seen Mr Aartoonian's work in person, but it looks exceptional. His stuff is truely detail molded! I don't understand why he won't make left-handed rigs; it only requires flipping the pattern.
Safe shooting,
Mark Garrity
Garrity's Gunleather

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mark Garrity on 2002-01-07 23:28 ]</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Howdy, folks!

I've bought items from Andy, and they are all excellent. He uses thinner leather for his belts and holsters than some makers, but I've never had a problem with any of them. The finishes are outstanding. My personal favorite holster design of his is the 22H.

On his website, Andy explains why he doesn't do left handed holsters, revolver rigs, or custom work. It simply comes down to too much work for a one-man shop. He evidently has more than enough to do filling the orders he gets for his standard designs.

I have had no problems dealing with Andy, either. He has been very friendly, and has been willing to answer many of my questions via email. For those of you who had different experiences, I can only suggest that you must have caught him on a very bad day.

Cheers!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mark-

Glad to hear you are willing to customize your products for individual customers- many people like to be able to make adjustments to a given design to fit them better, and I'm sure they appreciate your flexibility. As has already been stated, Andy declines to do this because he's got plenty of business just doing his standard designs, and chooses not to go the 'custom' route. He's very up-front about this, so people who are upset that he won't accomodate their specific needs have only themselves to blame for not doing their homework before buying.

My experiences with Andy have also been very positive- very friendly and willing to answer questions in a polite, timely manner. His leather is also simply outstanding, the best I've ever used for concealing a full-size pistol like a 1911 or Beretta 92 without going IWB. The hand-molded detail you see in his catalog is exactly what you get, and it's durable as well as beautiful. In fact, talking about it has made me decide to spend my birthday cash on another model 22 rig for my SIG!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got an E-Mail from Andy, my holster and belt are done and in the mail. Now I find out how long it takes to get stuff from over seas. By the way I have holster for my CZ from Lou and it is great, I also have a belt and holster for my 1911 from Milt Sparks and I like this also now that the holster is geting broken in.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had a shoulder holster by Horseshoe, for a G23 like the one worn by Leroy Thompson. Nice work.

My favorite maker, from personal experience, is Ron Graham. Excellent quality, service, and at a very reasonable price.

http://www.grahamscustomgunleather.bigstep.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.