Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what the hottest and fastest 38 super round anyone has ever hand loaded. fastest i've seen commercially is the 115 grain buffalo bore at 1450fps. Aso how much can a Colt Combat commander take pressure wise? I've read claims of 125 grain at 2000fps but that sound a bit much let alone if a 1911 could even handle that would equate to over 1100 ft lbs which seem like fiction for pistol
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just curious what the hottest and fastest 38 super round anyone has ever hand loaded. fastest i've seen commercially is the 115 grain buffalo bore at 1450fps. Aso how much can a Colt Combat commander take pressure wise? I've read claims of 125 grain at 2000fps but that sound a bit much let alone if a 1911 could even handle that would equate to over 1100 ft lbs which seem like fiction for pistol
View attachment 324
I have personally loaded the 90 gr. Lehigh Xtreme Defense bullet to 1788 fps (639 ft-lbs) out of a 3.6" barrel.
I have also loaded the 124 gr. Hornady XTP bullet to 1361 fps (510 ft-lbs) from the same barrel.
Both of these loads are well above SAAMI maximum and even above 9x23 Winchester pressures. They will likely damage the locking lugs on your barrel and slide. I would reserve them for SHTF situations. 9x23 Win. pressures seem to be OK.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have personally loaded the 90 gr. Lehigh Xtreme Defense bullet to 1788 fps (639 ft-lbs) out of a 3.6" barrel.
I have also loaded the 124 gr. Hornady XTP bullet to 1361 fps (510 ft-lbs) from the same barrel.
Both of these loads are well above SAAMI maximum and even above 9x23 Winchester pressures. They will likely damage the locking lugs on your barrel and slide. I would reserve them for SHTF situations. 9x23 Win. pressures seem to be OK.
Wow, that’s thats smokin along! What do you think the 1911s can handle safely for repeated use?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts