Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old gun that has a bit of surface rust. I'm looking into my options. The gun is a sig 226 and I believe the slide is carbon steel and the frame is some type of alloy, so I'm not sure what my options will be. I do plan on keeping the gun so I may have it coated somewhere. any feed back will help! thanks

·
Registered
580 Posts
Some rust on Blued Sigs with the older formed metal slides is fairly common. My '94 226 is starting to get a little now. My information is dated as the last time had a Sig in for work @ SIG, Exeter was ca. 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Their prices for refinishing wern't high. They can re-blue your slide or do it in their "K-Kote". If you use them you need to call and get an "RO #", shipping address,etc. They only charged $8 for return shipping then. FWIW, every time have sent a Sig into Exeter they have gone thru the pistol from top to bottom and brought it up to their current Specs. You do have to have other work done like a trigger job {Well worth the $ and for results}, etc. as they now have a minimum work fee. This may make it worthwhile if it is an older gun? If you have an "All German" gun it can be dated via the the letter code under the muzzle on the dust cover. See: http://www.sigarms.com/sigarmsweb/customer_service.htm
If you like hard chrome look into Metalife Chromium S @ http://www.metalifeind.com
Again, the best way to get info from Metalife is via phone as firearms are only part of their business. They have a brochure worth getting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-06-07 16:38 ]</font>

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been trying to stop rust for years. Finally found a relatively cheap solution to the problem. I apply a product called FASTEX (similar to MiliTec 1 but cheaper)

This stuff looks like oil, but isn't. The oil base is just a carrier for the active ingredient. It's billed as a "mono-molecular surface modifier" ??

It reduces friction and prevents rust. I was sceptical, but this stuff really works and keeps on working. You must heat up the gun to 50C and then just rub it on. You wipe off the excess and handle your gun as usual - it feels completely dry and normal.

I used this on a Speed Six that continually rusted. Since I appled FASTEX the gun has not rusted, despite being carried IWB, in the car, left laying around the house etc. Have also treated blued guns with equally good results.

I don't recall the supplier's details, but if you visit the Varmint Hunters web site he has an ad on there and you can order on line

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.