Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I know this isn't a "PISTOL" question so if the moderator want's to pull this I understand.
My wife was given her father's old Winchester side by side 20 guage shotgun and it is great fun to shoot, but it has been down the road and the bluing on the old barrels has been rubbed off in several places. I have never dealt with this before so I don't know if it is possible to fix that or not? Is it just bound to be a little ugly now? or can I redo that? If so, anyone that has any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
LionHeart!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well there are alot of companies out there that will reblue shotgun barrels for you. My personal recommendation is Briley, but that is just because I have been happy with their work in the past.

Or you could touch up the areas with cold blue. It will look bad, but it is WAY cheaper than the other idea. If you do cold blue I have heard, I have NEVER cold blued before, that if you heat the area that you are going to put the cold blue on it comes out deeper and more even. I have a friend who is a cheap SOB and cold blued 3 guns that needed refinnishing. One of them was an LC Smith shotgun.

I see I have been corrected, which I am greatfull for. I had meant to say salt blue, but was not thinking clearly. Hot blue as many have said isn't a good idea for any gun that could contain soldered parts. I appologize for the mix up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kavall on 2001-10-01 08:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
876 Posts
Do NOT hot blue a double barrelled shotgun. Many are soft soldered together and the caustic in the bath will dissolve the solder and the ribs will fall off or the barrels will separate. Find a shop that does Brownells Dicropan or a slow rust blue. There are others but be sure they are specified for doubles. It will cost more but will not hurt the gun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mr. Watson is correct in warning you against hot blueing a double. :eek: The damage caused by doing so can be severe and the cost of repairing it can exceed the value of the gun, depending of course on what it is.

If you have any questions, please feel free to E-mail me and I'll be happy to help as best as I can.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Cosby on 2001-09-28 19:30 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.