Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time between the last practice session for IDPA and this weekend's classifier, my front sight got knocked to the right in the dovetail. I KNOW it was okay when I left the range. The gun is a Wilson Combat 1996A2.

The pistol got packed in its WC rug and put on the top inside a duffel bag. The duffle went in my trunk where, to my knowledge nothing was set on top of it or knocked it. There were two plastic target stands in the trunk that may have slid onto the duffle, but they couldn't have done anything to it. Once at home the duffle sat upstairs until I unpacked it later in the night.

I took the gun out of the rug and put it into my Blade-Tech IWB holster as I was going to clean it. I immediately noticed that it went into the holster with more force. I took it out, cleaned it stripping the slide down, and reassembled it. Shortly thereafter, I noticed the drag in the holster was caused by the sight being 1/3 of the way out of the dovetail.

I took a screwdriver and, placing the plastic end on the protruding base of the sight, carefully knocked the sight in and centered it with a small mallet. The plastic portion of the screwdriver protected the sight from damage.

Luckily, the SO at the IDPA classifier match let me take 4 shots before the first stage, otherwise I wouldn't have had any idea whether my pistol was sighted in. It appeared to shoot to point of aim, if not 1.5 inches left at 10 yards. Apparently this practice is frowned upon as you're suppose to show up with your gear dialed in. Unfortunately I couldn't get to a range at 10:00 p.m. the night before. I ended up shooting about 171 getting Marksman in my first competitive shoot.

Today I was able to get to my local range to see how the gun was shooting. It was about 2-3 inches left at 20 yards and 1-1.5 inches left at 10 yards. I was able to take my knife (a Beretta plastic folder) and, placing the plastic handle on the base of the sight blade, move the sight by tapping on the knife handle with a scrap piece of 2X2 target stand. The sight seemed to move more easily than I expected with such fairly light tapping. The pistol is just about perfectly sighted in again. I could probably go another 1/4 inch right, but ran out of ammo.

Has anyone even had their front sight get knocked out of zero? My gun must have obviously gotten bumped by something, but whatever it happened it was not a very hard blow.

How tight should the front sight be in the dovetail? Is there any way to tighten it up? And do they eventually loosen up with time? My pistol has more likely than not been bumped harder than this most recent bump in the 6 years I've owned it. I'm not sure if this was a freak accident or something I need to worry about (or even address by tightening it).

TIA

· Registered
185 Posts
Jack

The front sight should not move.

I have had a few "shoot" loose over several thousand rounds of shooting as may be the case with your gun.

As with anything that takes constant and repeated action, pounding and or movement sometimes has to be tightened or checked when to insure it is secure over periods of time.

Front sights on other and older colts used to shoot off if some of us remember the stake on and silver solder days.

If I remember some of your previous posts you have had multiple thousand rounds out of the gun you describe.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terry:

Thanks for the reply (and Shay "over there").

I wasn't aware that some "shoot loose." Must almost be like how some mechanical things (bikes, for example), need to wear in to their operating conditions and tolerances, then be adjusted once more.

I'll probably shoot it the rest of the fall as they aren't that loose. Then I'll send it in to WC for any other reliability problems that I'm able to find (I'll be chucking random rounds in their to test it) and 30 lpi checkering on the frontstrap. They can address the front sight then.

Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JacRyan on 2001-09-06 22:33 ]</font>

· Registered
3,552 Posts
If a front sight can be bumped and moved it is incorrectly fitted. (short of a well placed hammer blow with a punch) It needs to be removed and restaked and locktite applied.

It won't get better and it WILL fall off at some point.

You should break a front sight befor it moves in the dovetail from a "bump".

· Registered
272 Posts
JacRyan, we know that when an attorney says, "There were two plastic target stands in the trunk that may have slid onto the duffle", it means, "I got so carried away shooting my 1911 that I totally forgot about that evidence suppression hearing before that really nasty judge (who can't wait to cite defense attorneys for contempt). I therefore had to drive home briskly to change, and gosh, my M-5's brakes did feel a little mushy on the way to court..." Ahh. The (G) Force be with You - and guide you to the right spot at the right time.

G

·
I am now convinced that your pistol is just cursed, how many repairs is that now?

Also, Dane is 100% correct short of breaking the sight off it should be impossible to just bang on or tap it over.

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am now convinced that your pistol is just cursed, how many repairs is that now?
Don't even get me started....

As with anything mechanical, I'm convinced that sometimes a certain small percentage of machines just "ain't right."

I'm going to run it through the next month or so, just keeping an eye on the front sight. Repairs already kept me away from a summer's worth of IDPA, and my first classifier was shot with a pistol that grouped 1.5" left of POA. I'm convinced that if it were shooting to POA I'd have made sharpshooter....

So, I'm not going to blow my first IDPA competition by sending it into WC. I'll run various factory rounds through it in the next month and a half to see if it's feeding better. If not, that goes on the "to do" list (again).

Am I wrong to expect it to shoot Winchester Q4170 hardball without a premature slide lock? Or Speer Lawman without FTF's? So far the only ammo that it likes is Federal AE -- which I don't like because it's a smoky.

There are a couple of other weird things about it. When I got it back from it's last fluff and buff, there was a burr on the top of the ejector which makes disassembly of it difficult without a lot of pushing/pulling. And there are wear marks in the short guide rod (from the lower lugs of the barrel?).

I've never EVER wanted a Glock before this summer....

· Registered
72 Posts
i know it sounds kind of "cheesy" but why not go ahead and loc-tite or even super-glue it now since your going to keep using it awhile before sending it in. it might mean the difference in winning a match or being out of comission because your front sight is somewhere on the range.
i like super-glue its kinda like magic. we have some high strength, super-duper, king-kong gorilla industrial strength stuff at work. half of my kids toys,my car,and my wifes best friend is glued together with this stuff.

· Registered
272 Posts
JacRyan, there's something to be said for Glocks. You won't lose a lot of money by selling it, either. I call 'em the Stanley Hammer of the Gun Industry.

Get a G-34, a Blade-Tech IDPA Special ensemble, and compete in SSP whilst your 1996A1 is at the Wilson Spa. Enjoy life instead of just wishing you did.

Regards, Andy.

· Registered
272 Posts
Well, his 1996A2 does seem to be possessed by gremlins from the Dark Side. I just don't want JacRyan to miss all the fun of his first IDPA competition by wondering if his front sight is going to be there or not.

I had the stock plastic front sight of my G-22 get knocked off the pistol by a barricade in recoil and movement engaging targets. Fortunately, I was only about two yds. away from the remaining targets and was able to use the rear and top of the slide as my aiming index. I popped it right back on after the stage and finished the match. The gun went to Dick Heinie for a set of his Straight eights forthwith. JacRyan, I strongly encourage you to do this with your G-34/35, should you elect to purchase one. (Get the Heinie sights, that is.)

The next post from JacRyan I want to read is about how everything went well at his match because he actually had a front sight to watch - not how he missed it because he had to have that 1996A2 surgically removed from his hand after testing the superglue to see if it had worked/cured.

Later, maybe we'll hear about how his 1996A2 came back from the Wilson Spa with all of its problems cured.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Andy on 2001-09-12 23:15 ]</font>

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dane:

WC has one more $40 shipment of my gun to deal with.

After that, I may ask if YOU want to deal with it! Of course, I might also ask for The Wave as long as I'm voiding factory warranties and all....

BTW, how do you think factories will deal with The Wave and their warranties? Some might be jerks, but have any been okay with it? Seems to me that it wouldn't affect functioning or frame strength.

PS I thought my real issue was snaps and drinking wine with Lou.... :grin:

· Registered
272 Posts
Aha! Caught pounding away on a keyboard!

JacR, you will be delighted to know that Gastone is a fellow aficionado of schnapps and wine. Back when the IACP meeting was held in Albuquerque, I had to help gather some NM wines for him to sample/select from for the dinner Glock gave. He took a lot back to Germany with him. I got a great bottle of schnapps out of the deal.

The pen IS mightier than the sword, for in these times it must be wielded before the blade; and ever so deftly.

More exercise on the morrow, guys...

· Registered
383 Posts
I'd say if they void the warranty just cause you got the WAVE, they were being penis heads, or more likely just way jealous.

Took the Yokohamas off the wifes car and replaced them with Michelins, Nissan didnt say a peep. lmao

Ahhh wine and schnapps. My grandmother had fruit trees in her backyard and always had some schnapps burned from them. Small town outside of Stuttgart, Germany, and dont even get me started on the hard apple cider that was always in the cellar in the old wood casks, can still smell that room.

Jac, give the gun to Dane and be done with this excersize in maschocism. And by all means get the WAVE. :>)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Zahn on 2001-10-18 10:15 ]</font>

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No no no no no! Snaps not schnapps.

When I said "snaps" I meant it. Dane was giving me heck because I opted for the snaps on Lou's CQC-I over his GWH. The CQC-I and GWH are the same holster with the exception of the snaps on the CQC-I versus the leather loop on the GWH.

Not much of a schnapps drinker. But I *love* snaps! :wink:

BTW, speaking of fermented beverages, my favorite beer is currently in season. Capitol Brewery (here in Madison -- well, Middleton, but same thing) puts out their Autumnal Fire every fall. A deep dopplebock with an orange flair, it's easily the smoothest beer I've ever drank. I enjoyed one last night reading Blackhawk Down (again). And, of course, I had my "snaps" with me as well. :grin:

· Registered
3,552 Posts
The CQC-I and GWH are the same holster with the exception of the snaps on the CQC-I versus the leather loop on the GWH.
I know neither Lou or I told you that Jac.

They are made in the same place but that is about as close as they get to being the "same" :grin:

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dane:

I know neither Lou or I told you that Jac.

They are made in the same place but that is about as close as they get to being the "same"
Actually that's not what I was told. The information that I received was that the GWH was the exact same holster as the CQC-I with the exception of the snap loops. I am paraphrasing here. Email me off the boards if you want to on this point any further.

But I LOOOOOOVE the CQC-I. If our elected government would allow me to exercise my right and pack from morning to night, then I'd choose the GWH. But I'm not allowed to exercise that right, so I'd rather "snap on/snap off" than unthread multiple times.

So, take this as a complement to the GWH. :smile:

EDIT: PS to say that Dane is right. They are not exactly the same holster! Sorry 'bout the confusion. My apologies to Dane.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JacRyan on 2001-10-28 18:30 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.