Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You folks ever have one of those days. Well, mine was a couple of days ago. I was cleaning my ANIB Delta Elite (rescued from the People's Republic of Mass.). Things went well and I was putting her back together. The plunger tube spring was sticking as I was trying to work the slide stop so I began to use a little more force and lever it. Can anyway see what's coming?

Yup, I miscalculated the angle, how close the slide stop edge was, and how much force. There is now what is probably a tiny mark but to me looks like a huge gouge showing the arc the slide stop took. And yes, it's through the finish.

Any ideas how to correct this absent a buff job and a refinish? Anyone want to own up to a similar error so I don't feel so bad?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't know how to correct it, but I sure know how to wreck them.....here's a quote from a post I made way back in the early days of this forum....

"Not too much that I haven't maimed, butchered, hacked, stripped, melted, gouged, burnt, scratched, twisted, snapped, crushed, bent, seized or (insert your own worst blunder here) over the years.

PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR GUNS TO ME. I am not a professional gunsmith. "

:smile: :smile: :smile:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Wellll...Let me just say this....If the slide "thingee" points to 3:00. You can easily read the thing all the way to 4:30.

...I won't mention the part you can't even see...

...Does slashed, trashed, hacked make any "impression" with you?

Well...they certainly do if you're lookin' at my SA...:eek:

ps...I gave up after doin' it 3-4 more times...After I quit doin' stupid stuff, THEN I'll GET A REFINISH!!!
...from the look of things...May be awhile :wink:

..!...then, we fight in the shade!..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gyp_c2 on 2001-06-15 14:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
46 Posts
re For stainless steel you might look into the acid sold from Radio Shack. Its Chloro something used on circut boards. A pint or so costs about four dollars. I am told it has been used to blend the color after dehorning a brushed gun. No personal experance though it could be a start. Calthrop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: calthrop on 2001-06-16 22:05 ]</font>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Careful with the masking and bead blasting, unless you like that deluxe 'sandpaper on sandpaper' feel in the action of your fav. piece. (Been there and done that with a BHP a slew of years ago. Wound up repolishing and reblueing the whole thing.)
:sad:

·
Registered
77 Posts
well if it makes you feel better.. i've never done it, but i have seen a slew of them done that way. there for a while i was beginning to think that all used 1911's had the takedown scratch, i was wondering if the factories had started putting them on the guns when they were first built.

·
Registered
19 Posts
there is special nylon tool made to ease reassembly w/o scratching the frame ..brownells might have it in their new catalog..

·
Registered
283 Posts
That's nothing compared to fighting to get recoil spring plunger into the front of a Commander and having the lower squirt out of your hands and onto your oak bench and floor; denting the dust cover.

Like the guy said when the Hindenburg went down: "Oh, the humanity!" Duh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On my Colt Gold Cup, I install the slide stop without the plunger on the spring giving the slide free movement. I align the notches and put in the stop and push it straight in till it hits the detent. Then I get a very small blade screw driver and push the detent in while pushing in the stop. Then I install the plunger onto the spring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.