Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Argie FM with the black baked on type finish.
Whats the best way to remove it. I plan on having it parkerized.
Or should i let the parkerize people deal with it, they will probably charge me to remove it though.
Thanks

G

·
If the finish isn't bad I would leave it alone. If the finish is bad a commercial paint remover should work. In my case the baked on surface covered a very poorly finished pistol with many tool marks. I would at that point use another baked on finish to replace the one I removed. You can't make a silk purse... Regards, Richard

·
Registered
183 Posts
Are you concerned about the mill marks that came with the gun? I would bead blast it and maybe polish out the Mill marks if it were mine. just polishing will mess up the weel and airplane stripper will just expose mill marks. GTO

·
Registered
56 Posts
Richard,
I have redone several Argi. HPs. The best method that I've found for removing the finish is bead blasting. Find a local machine shop and offer them $10 bucks to do it in their spare time. For Parkerizing, look at the http://www.mr40mm.com website. They carry a stovetop Park. that has gotten great results for a lot of shooters at a fraction of what it would cost to get the work done.
Best Luck

G

·
GTO,

I stumbled accross this site with no help from my former acquaintance (Stephen A. Camp) and I enjoy the site.

I guess I am in the camp that you are better off with a good Israeli trade in than an FM. My FM's frame went South after my gunsmith over polished the grip area. With its used FN frame I probably have close to $800 in my FN/FM hybred. It is a great looking pistol but I doubt if I could get $400 for it on the market and less than $250 from a gunshop.

Sorry for the rambling.

Regards,

Richard

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.