Pistol Smith Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
jonsidneyb, I really don't know what bullet weight was used or how their brass will last at that pressure. The article mentioned the bullet weight (I think it was 124) but I do not remember for sure.

I have experimented with the 9x23 loading 124,130,135,145, and 147 grain bullets in lead, jacketed, JHP, and plated. I have found a few loads that I am fond of and most are relatively mild loads. I have a few pieces of brass that I kept up with for a while and I purposely loaded them over and over to see when they would fatigue. It didn't happen after eight or nine loadings and I am sure they have been loaded at least two or three times since and still nothing. I couldn't tell them from any others at this point, but I have had nothing that failed. I use Starline and Winchester brass.

Both of my 9x23 pistols (one Colt and the other is a Springfield with a EWG bbl.) seem to prefer a faster load to get accuracy when using 124 grain bullets. I tried some 1000 / 1100 fps loads and they didn't group worth a darn. The groups seem to get tighter as the bullet speeds up. Starting at 1150 to 1200 I notice the groups getting smaller. I don't know if it is the powders, bullets, or barrels. I use many different powders and bullets and have not found a slow load I like, using 124's.

The 145 and 147's I load are the accuracy champs. I am always looking for a good load that produces accuracy. If I carry a 9x23 for defense, I use Silvertips.

I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, I love the 9x23.

Buddy

·
Registered
17 Posts
[ Anyway, if Baer, Wilson, Springfield, Kimber, or Glock would build a 9x23 it would get plenty of print.

OK, I'll quit crying.

Buddy[/quote]

Les Baer does offer a 1911 pistol in 9x23 - it's their Premier II model. The problem is, and it's one that's been touched on previously, that because it's priced at around $1800.00 that eliminates a huge portion of the market. As mentioned earlier, Nighthawk will make one for you but you would have to automatically add an additional $200 to a pistol that already runs in the neighborhood of $2100 - $2400 depending on the model. (Not to get off on a tangent, but I find it interesting that Nighthawk offers 9x23 as a caliber upgrade but not 10MM.) I think even Nowlin would be willing to build one; at least they still make barrels in 9x23. In fact, they did make some for Ground Zero Int'l, if I remember correctly.

The harsh reality, at least in '06, is that if you want anything chambered in 9x23, you'll most likely have to have it built unless you stumble across a Colt or Springer. I searched high and low for a Colt and eventually found two. They were both Series 80 guns, which gave me pause, and the asking price was over $1200.00 for one and $1450.00 for the other. I figured I could have something made for a little bit more and have it built with everything I wanted. It is a Caspian-based Commander-size pistol. The build is in the very early stages but I will post pics when complete.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I think you made the right decision. When you have a custom gun built to your specifications; you can have everything you want put on it.

I have the Colt Series 80 Enhanced and I have not been completely satisified with it. I am going to have Bo-Mars, Bar-sto bbl., and a trigger job done to it. After everything is finished and broken in...hard chrome the receiver.

Buddy

·
Registered
17 Posts
buddy_fuentes said:
I think you made the right decision. When you have a custom gun built to your specifications; you can have everything you want put on it.

I have the Colt Series 80 Enhanced and I have not been completely satisified with it. I am going to have Bo-Mars, Bar-sto bbl., and a trigger job done to it. After everything is finished and broken in...hard chrome the receiver.

Buddy
There was just something about the Series 80 that really made me stop and think. That, along with the prices, ultimately convinced me to take another route. +1 for the Bar-sto barrel and hard-chrome.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. If you are trying to qualify your earlier post, that is not necessary. Everyone has a right to buy what he feels best meets his needs/wants.

I bought the Colt 9x23 (NIB) for $700 or $750 a couple of years ago. It is a good pistol, but it still needs some work to make me happy.

I bought a Springfield 9x23 in Feb. '06 and it is a real joy to shoot. I have two, yes 2 frames being built into 9x23's. One will be a Commander length and the other will be a 6". I have put them on the back burner for now; I have found some other toys I am interested in, so they can wait a few months.

Yes, I knew Les Baer builds 9x23 pistols. I have three of his .45's and am very happy with them. Like you said, they are expensive and you can have a custom built for about she same money.

Buddy

·
Registered
11 Posts
The only thing that has to happen for the 9x23 to become a success if for Winchester to decide they want it to be a success, then invest in it by putting the ammo out there. They would also have to convince handgun makers to put the guns on the shelf at the same time.

The problem is they made a half assed effort to do that with the Colt and SA guns and it failed (miserably).

Not only do the guns have to be in the cases, and the ammo on the shelves, but the magazines have to be exciting people about buying one.

In other words - don't hold your breath, but consider yourself enlightened...

Paul

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So basically, if I want a decent 9x23, I'm looking at a thousand dollars and up for a customized weapon. Alas, are there no 9x23s to be had for the common man ?

·
Registered
203 Posts
A 9x23 can be had from a number of different sources and they do not have need to be strictly custom money, though they are more pricey than commercial grades.
Check with Dawson Precision concerning a STI. SVI can be had though they are very costly, well according to my checkbook.
I think there are a number of good smiths that can do conversions to 9x23 without a lot of bells and whistles and have them perform well. It would be good to investigate if the smith has personal knowledge of this caliber as it is not a usual conversion.
Dawson did a ream of a Trojan barrel that I am happy with and I have been very happy with his service in general, though I am considering a 9x23 from BO-MAR.
Price is a very subjective conversation. Buddy allocates more than some for his FIX though I am sure that he spends no more than many/most on their hobbies, check with boat owners. My wife would flare if she understood the investment I have involved and I am not finished.
You will be happy with any money spent on a 9x23 as it is a good weapon in a good caliber.
Blessings

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I saw a Nowlin CDT Commander on the Internet that seemed the perfect package (at least for me). I contacted Nowlin and it turns out the frame they use is from Dawson Precision. The price was $2500. Now, if I can just win the lottery...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Noticed something interesting today while on Corbon's website. Apparently they are getting ready to offer a 9x23 Win. loading in their DPX line of ammunition. :D By the looks of things, it doesn't appear that they are available yet. The site lists it in the DPX section but gives no ballistic information and you can't click on it to get pricing, order, etc. If the pricing for the existing DPX line is any indication, a box of 20 will, unfortunately, be pretty spendy. While this is a small thing in the world of shooting, it's a BIG deal to the 9x23 crowd. I can't help but wonder if this is yet another step in the round gaining popularity. I can't imagine Corbon introducing this round if they didn't feel the demand existed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am on the band wagon of a possible new name, possibly 357 auto? Everyone associates the 357 with man stopping, car stopping, heck anything stopping power, couple that with auto in the title and it may take off with the joe shmoe's.

On another note, I really want a 9x23, but military paychecks don't really give me the huge budget for custom guns. I have seen threads on changing various 10mm's to 9x23, but not alot of details. I have a couple of S&W 10mm's laying around. Anyone think it is feasible to convert one to 9x23 for a reasonable price? What issues should I think about for a possible conversion?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse just discontinued Winchester 9X23

Sportsman's Warehouse just discontinued Winchester 9X23 ammunition. Oddly they marked it UP from the previous shelf price - I'd guess the ammunition was shelved at the price when first stocked and intervening increases were applied and then discounted for discontinued bins?

For my money more pressure tested loading data in one of the major manuals - or even just from Barnes for their all copper bullets would be enough to encourage me to shoot more. As it is I load plinking and range loads and carry Silvertip.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't forget that you can take a bone stock ( 1911) 9 mm or .38 Super pistol and have a 9x23 bbl. fitted. Heck, you could probably buy a drop-in barrel from Jarvis, Nowlin, or some of the other bbl. companies.

The 9x23 is no mystery...it is just a good pistol cartridge. You can get into one cheap, if you already own a 9 mm. If you find a used 9, your on your way for a few $$$ more. Just add bell and whistles later.

The resulting pistol would be a way to own the 9x23 without busting the budget.

Buddy

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was also tossing around converting a 5906 since they are plentiful and cheap, under $300 for one in great condition. Somebody told me I really needed to use a platform with the length to accomodate a 45 or 10mm.

Was I told wrong, will the 5906 work for this purpose?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yes, you need to have a receiver length of .45 acp or .38 Super. You have to use Super magazines, the 9 mags have a spacer in the rear for the shorter cartridge. A 1911 in 9 mm will work because it is the same size receiver as the forty-five and the Super.

As stated before a 10 mm Glock will convert with a barrel change.

Good luck, Buddy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Has anyone ever heard of an EAA Witness in 38 Super being converted to 9x23 ? I don't know much about the Witness accept the price is right. However, you generally get what you pay for with respect to firearms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking into getting a 9x23 barrel for a 9mm 1911 I have. We already offer several loads in that caliber. The actual results reports I've got from a friend overseas are very impressive. I will convert this and hopefully it'll be reliable so I can carry it. Not sure which load I would use in it yet. The PowRball round has shown GREAT promise!

·
Registered
260 Posts
9X23 is slower than the .38 Super with the DPX from Cor Bon

9X23 shows 100fps slower than the .38 Super from Cor Bon with the DPX. I wonder what the loads and especially the internal ballistics are like? Does the increased capacity of the .38 Super make up for the presumbably lower pressure? I suspect the DPX takes up space in the case more like a heavier weight lead bullet?

I wonder if the best of the .38 Super combined with long loaded 9X19 in race guns and oddballs like the .38TJ will combine to leave no place for the 9X23 to grow?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Lookin back over these replys...not much I can add. Possibly this might be of intrest to some...9x23 is the only brass that can stand up to the hottest loads for the .224 Zipperer,and that's Winchester 9x23 . 38Super Comp won't do it... Regular 38super brass is useless for the Zipperer givin' up at around 1300fps. Split a9x23case ..38Super Comp case....38Super case, miles of difference in the inside taper. If You want 9x23 performance ,it's got to be Win 9x23.

Mike, most new 1911 9mm barrels can be chambered for 9x23. No need to look or wait for a 9x23.
Thanks
Bill Caldwell

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mr. Bill, I don't know if you picked up on one of my threads, but you were on the money when you told me I could shoot 9x19 (9 mm) in my 9x23.

You can't tell that the pistol is a 9x23. I even tried the super magazines and they worked, too. Point of impact is a tad off, however not enough to be of concern out to 15 yards.

The rear sight on my Kimber 9 mm broke so I decided to see if I could get reliable feeding on one of my 9x23's. That sucker hasn't missed a beat.

The Kimber now has a Bo-Mar and some competition for a spot in the range bag.

Thanks, Buddy

21 - 40 of 87 Posts