Pistol Smith Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
9x23 is winning friends and influencing people. I bought a factory Springer in 9x23 and then had a 9x19 nowlin fitted and it became one of my favorites. I then had a 9x23 Nowlin fitted to my 9x19 STI. Now I'm looking at building a custom 9x23 commander. I've done my best to educate people about the round and the easy interchange with the 9x19... IMHO it is *the* round for the 1911 when coupled with the 9x19 for cheap/easy practice.

Paul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
I have two Colt magazines with the floorplates marked for the 9x23 caliber. If anyone really wants me too I can take a snapshot. I bought one from one of the gun forums a few years back and another one about three months ago from Ebay. It was about $25 to $30 shipped new in the Colt blistercard.

The first one's follower broke and I replaced it with a CMC follower and the second one I have not had a chance to try out yet. As near as I can tell the mags are no different than the .38 Super mags other than the markings.

FWIW, in my 9x23 I use mostly Metalform magazines and they have always worked wonderfully. I also have one Wilson Combat .38 Super magazine that I use but despite all of the hype I see no real advantage over the Metalform mags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Now I'm looking at building a custom 9x23 commander. I've done my best to educate people about the round and the easy interchange with the 9x19... IMHO it is *the* round for the 1911 when coupled with the 9x19 for cheap/easy practice.

Paul[/quote]

Paul,

I couldn't agree more with your assessment about 9x23. The shape of the round just seems like the perfect match for the 1911 format. I've tried, on occasion, to spread the word but it's amazing at some of the reactions you get once the number "9" is mentioned. Now, I'm much more selective as to who I get into detail with.

I'm curious about your 9x23 Commander build. Mine is in the final stages and I expect to have it within the month. What ideas do you have in mind and what components/small parts are you considering?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Colt 9x23's

I've seen several (well three anyway) Colt 9x23's on GunsAmerica.com and GunAuction.com. They're going for around $900. Everyone says that the 1911 format is perfect for the 9x23, but I'm looking for a double stack. That spells custom frames and mucho dinero. So, here's my latest scheme. I'm impressed with the Witness P Carry series from EAA. They have compact steel slides and full size polymer frames. There's no 38 Super in this series, but the 38 Super magazines from the full size steel frame EAA Witness weapons should work. I'm thinking of buying the 10 MM Witness P Carry. It uses a 15 round magazine. Somewhere down the road I will buy the compact 9x19 slide/barrel from EAA along with their 18 shot capacity 38 Super magazines. With some barrel work on the 9x19 and probably a stronger recoil spring, voila, I'll have a frame that will support high capacity 9x23 and 10 MM. One nice thing about EAA, they tend to mix and match well. If this actually works, I'll have a 9x23 and a 10 MM and still have change back from $900.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Re: Colt 9x23's

louishob2 said:
I've seen several (well three anyway) Colt 9x23's on GunsAmerica.com and GunAuction.com. They're going for around $900. Everyone says that the 1911 format is perfect for the 9x23, but I'm looking for a double stack. That spells custom frames and mucho dinero. So, here's my latest scheme. I'm impressed with the Witness P Carry series from EAA. They have compact steel slides and full size polymer frames. There's no 38 Super in this series, but the 38 Super magazines from the full size steel frame EAA Witness weapons should work. I'm thinking of buying the 10 MM Witness P Carry. It uses a 15 round magazine. Somewhere down the road I will buy the compact 9x19 slide/barrel from EAA along with their 18 shot capacity 38 Super magazines. With some barrel work on the 9x19 and probably a stronger recoil spring, voila, I'll have a frame that will support high capacity 9x23 and 10 MM. One nice thing about EAA, they tend to mix and match well. If this actually works, I'll have a 9x23 and a 10 MM and still have change back from $900.
I've seen the 9x23's you mentioned as well. IMHO, those prices seem unreasonable and my guess is that the seller's are trying to capitalize on the collectability angle. I've contemplated a hi-cap 9x23 Commander myself. I'd like to go with a Caspian frame, Caspian's hi-cap specific small parts, Caspian slide, Barsto barrel, and Caspian magazines. You could literally have 20 rounds of 9x23 - 19+1 - at your fingertips. Talk about peace of mind. . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I'm happy this weekend! I got my 9x23 put together last night. Just fired a few shots so far, but it has been 100%. :D

I have not settled on a spring yet. My handloads are a bit more conservative than Winchester Silvertips. The spring I have seems more appropriate for my handloads. That precious Winchester brass ejects itself at a respectable velocity!

I have been using Power Pistol, and love most of its attributes, except for its flash. I think I will try VV3n37, having heard good things about it. I am also willing to enertain suggestions for other powders.

I am also willing to entertain suggestions for another bullet. The Remington 124 JHPs don't hold together too well at those velocities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
There are many good powders out there that work well. I have 3N37 and have had some good loads with it. Ramshot, HS 6, 7, 231, and even Bullseye have produced some really good loads. My personal favorite is WW 231. I don't load very hot for most of my shooting and found that I get some pretty good loads with 231. I use it for 9 mm, 9x23. .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. It is a little smokey on the indoor range, but I can deal with that.

I have some jacketed HP in 125 and 147 that I loaded up warm and I used V V 3n37 and HS 6. You need to just play with it and see what you like for your personal use.

I have a 16# spring in one and a 14# in the other. I intend to try a 10 or 12 the next time I order from Brownell's. The real heavy springs seem to snap my pistol forward and down.

Buddy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
I have a fair amount of experience with 231 in light .38 Super loads. I like everything about Power Pistol but the flash.

Things were much simpler years ago. If you wanted to load your auto pistol cases to warm levels, you used Unique.

There is about a 120 FPS difference between my handloads and Winchester factory loads. (Plus 1 grain of bullet weight.) Memory is a terrible guide to the past, but I am pretty sure that it was a 14 pound spring that I ended up using. It seemed just about perfect with my handloads, but the hotter Winchester seemed to be ejecting with the intention of landing in the next county.

Some how, I slept through the introduction of the 9x23, but I am making up for lost time now! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
What a difference 2 weeks can make! I now have a load that can surpass Winchester Factory 9x23, (though I am going to drop back a little and just try and equal it.) :D

It uses Power Pistol, so I would still like to find a powder whic produces less flash. Of the ones available in this area I think that I am going to try VV 3n37 next. The Speer Gold Dot bullets intended for the 357 SIG work quite well in this cartridge.

It quite nicely complements my .41 Magnum. Why am I cursed with this interest in orphan cartridges? :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Re: Colt 9x23's

louishob2 said:
I'm impressed with the Witness P Carry series from EAA. They have compact steel slides and full size polymer frames. There's no 38 Super in this series, but the 38 Super magazines from the full size steel frame EAA Witness weapons should work. I'm thinking of buying the 10 MM Witness P Carry. It uses a 15 round magazine. Somewhere down the road I will buy the compact 9x19 slide/barrel from EAA along with their 18 shot capacity 38 Super magazines. With some barrel work on the 9x19 and probably a stronger recoil spring, voila, I'll have a frame that will support high capacity 9x23 and 10 MM. One nice thing about EAA, they tend to mix and match well. If this actually works, I'll have a 9x23 and a 10 MM and still have change back from $900.
Just buy the caliber conversion for .38 Super for that 10mm, the 9x19 slide idea won't work... unless I read that the wrong way. I have a full sized steel .38 Super Witness and I've put their 10mm conversion on my .38 Super... yes it was converted to 9x23!

Derek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Re: Colt 9x23's

viesczy said:
louishob2 said:
I'm impressed with the Witness P Carry series from EAA. They have compact steel slides and full size polymer frames. There's no 38 Super in this series, but the 38 Super magazines from the full size steel frame EAA Witness weapons should work. I'm thinking of buying the 10 MM Witness P Carry. It uses a 15 round magazine. Somewhere down the road I will buy the compact 9x19 slide/barrel from EAA along with their 18 shot capacity 38 Super magazines. With some barrel work on the 9x19 and probably a stronger recoil spring, voila, I'll have a frame that will support high capacity 9x23 and 10 MM. One nice thing about EAA, they tend to mix and match well. If this actually works, I'll have a 9x23 and a 10 MM and still have change back from $900.
Just buy the caliber conversion for .38 Super for that 10mm, the 9x19 slide idea won't work... unless I read that the wrong way. I have a full sized steel .38 Super Witness and I've put their 10mm conversion on my .38 Super... yes it was converted to 9x23!

Derek
I thought about buying the 38 Super conversion, but I was a little concerned about bullet shapes. The 38 Super is semi-rimmed and has a fairly straight wall. The 9x23 is rimless and tapered. I was afraid I'd have extraction and accuracy problems firing a 9x23 in 38 Super barrel/slide.

I talked with one of the gunsmiths at EAA and he said the compact 9MM conversion kit will work on the 10MM P Carry frame. The problem is, the conversion kits currently are designed for the steel frame Witnesses. So the compact 9MM conversion kit on the 10MM P Carry leaves you with a "hybrid". The resulting pistol won't have the Novak style sights and the bull barrel of a true P Carry. However, I was told by one of the executives at EAA that P Carry parts should be available shortly. Apparently the whole of Italy takes August off, so manufacturing doesn't start up again until September.

By the way, if you ever have to deal with EAA, try to bypass customer service. They go out of their way to be as unhelpful as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I had my 38 Super barrel reamed to 9x23 dimensions and BOOM 18 rounds of 9x23! I would worry about reliable extraction/ejection with a 9x19 slide.

Agreed about EAA and their customer service.

When they first introduced the 10mm I sent them a polite email as to the ETA, I got a brusque reply that the 10mms would be available @ the end of Summer. I politely pointed out that Summer ended in September and that it was nearly Halloween. So they replied back that in Florida when the hurricane season ended is when Summer was over with an a tone that basically send that I shoud take a flying leap. My reply was when did Florida start determining when seasons start and end! :-? You bet, I've not picked up another EAA product either!

I sure do like the idea of the 10mm though...

Derek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
viesczy said:
I had my 38 Super barrel reamed to 9x23 dimensions and BOOM 18 rounds of 9x23! I would worry about reliable extraction/ejection with a 9x19 slide.

Agreed about EAA and their customer service.

When they first introduced the 10mm I sent them a polite email as to the ETA, I got a brusque reply that the 10mms would be available @ the end of Summer. I politely pointed out that Summer ended in September and that it was nearly Halloween. So they replied back that in Florida when the hurricane season ended is when Summer was over with an a tone that basically send that I shoud take a flying leap. My reply was when did Florida start determining when seasons start and end! :-? You bet, I've not picked up another EAA product either!

I sure do like the idea of the 10mm though...

Derek
Thanks for the info ! I'll try the 38 Super conversion route.

All I asked customer service was "when would they have conversion kits for the P Carry line". After minutes of explaining to her that the kits on the website have a different slide/barrel configuration than the P Carry, she was finally convinced that they didn't have conversion kits for the P Carry. So once again I ask nicely, "when will you get them ?". She says "I have no idea, why don't you try searching for one on the Internet ?". Call me crazy, but if the company that manufactures the pistol doesn't have the conversion kit, what chance would I have finding one surfing the net ? Basically, I was told to take a flying leap, and, if at all possible, when you do land, make sure it isn't in Florida !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
viesczy said:
I had my 38 Super barrel reamed to 9x23 dimensions and BOOM 18 rounds of 9x23! I would worry about reliable extraction/ejection with a 9x19 slide.

Agreed about EAA and their customer service.

When they first introduced the 10mm I sent them a polite email as to the ETA, I got a brusque reply that the 10mms would be available @ the end of Summer. I politely pointed out that Summer ended in September and that it was nearly Halloween. So they replied back that in Florida when the hurricane season ended is when Summer was over with an a tone that basically send that I shoud take a flying leap. My reply was when did Florida start determining when seasons start and end! :-? You bet, I've not picked up another EAA product either!

I sure do like the idea of the 10mm though...

Derek
Was barrel reaming the only thing you had to do to go to 9x23 ? No recoil spring changes ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I do have a 20lb Wolf spring, or whichever the heaviest Wolf makes for the EAA, in my Witness now, I think the stock for the 38 S is 12-14lbs. There was FRIGHTENING slide movment with the stock spring in it.

Right now, I'm really thinking about getting a Kimber HDII in .38 S (or the new lightweight Colt Commander .38 S) to have a more compact 9x23.

Derek
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Case dimemsions

I need help on this. Several folks have mentioned reaming out the 38 Super to use 9x23 ammo. Ok, I understand reaming comparing the bases of the two cartridges, the 9x23 is .394 and the 38 Super is .384. However, at the case mouth, the 9x23 is smaller, .381 vs. .384. Nothing to ream there, you really need to add some metal. I realize these differences are tiny, but it would seem that a 9x23 in a reamed 38 Super barrel would be a tad "loose" at the case mouth. Does this affect accuracy any ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
I have shot 9x23 in a Super and did not notice much if any difference in accuracy at the close ranges I was shooting. I shot it from 10 to 15 yards and did not shoot that many rounds. I have 2 9x23 pistols and have not tried a Super to see if it would fit, but I don't think it will.

Mr. Wild Bill told me that my 9x23's would shoot the 9 mm round, too. I tried it and it shot very well out to 15 yards. I haven't had a chance to try it at longer ranges, but I bet it will do pretty darn good.

The 9x23 is such a good round it is a shame that you can use it for major in Open division and not Limited, too. I would rather have the 9x23 Winchester in a fight than a .40 S&W. It shoots flat and has a very easy to manage recoil impulse.

Great defense round...somebody will wake up one day and build a small auto chambered in 9x23.

Buddy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
What does the group think about trying to convince a smaller or newer manufacturer to produce a 9x23? Maybe someone like Taurus who is just getting into 1911's. Their Compact model in 9x23 would be desirable. Rock Island Armory might be a good candidate. Any other suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
I notice Midway is clearing 9X23 brass - no great discount

I notice Midway is clearing 9X23 brass - no great discount but that's true of brass these days - last month's price is steal compared to this month.

I'm sort of nervous about scarcities as brass becomes more expensive and any slow moving item may not be made - historically I've had as much or more luck finding 9X23 when I wanted it as 6mm Remington - but it's easier to figure I've got enough 6mm Remington or .376 Steyr to shoot the barrel out and there are cases I could reform. For 9X23 there are no other realistic choices - I can see myself using a different pistol for a school or a season of gaming or a major lost brass match if I can't confidently replace the brass in advance. Maybe a move to 38TJ now that Starline and Hornady both offer it with Mr. Jarrett behind it.

I find less Winchester 9x23 loaded ammunition in either version on the shelf than I used to - I used to find most places had some 9X23 Silvertip though they sold but little of it; today almost nobody I wander into stocks it for over the counter casual sale.

Corbon is downright encouraging but I do prefer boxes of 50. Any thoughts on Corbon DPX vs PowerBall vs JHP? I expect to move to DPX as I run down my stocks of Silvertips but that will be another couple years if I ration.

Anybody else shooting something else a little more and rationing the 9X23?
 
61 - 80 of 87 Posts
Top