Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one of those unfortunate people who loves the HP but isn't loved by it. I normally use a high grip on pistols and find that with my fleshy hands, the web between the thumb and forefinger gets pushed up around the existing beavertail. As a result, I get nabbed on occassion. Would the no hammer bite mods be sufficient or do I need the more costly (and appearance detracting) beavertail?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Hello. If you get bitten by the hammer spur or the lower edge of the ring hammer in some models, simply replace with the abbreviated ball hammer sold by C&S or bob the existing (spur) hammer at the second lateral serration.

If you get pinched between the rear of the hammer and the tang, I believe that both Novak and Wickmann offer a modification to the rear of the hammer "shank" to limit or prevent this. Some of the photos at their sites show this. Depending upon your "gunsmithing abilities," you might be able to duplicate this modification yourself.

In the past, I was often bitten by the HP, but the replacement of the hammer or bobbing the existing spur hammer fixed it for me.

Best.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stephen, thanks for the advice. As to my gunsmithing abilities, I can fieldstrip weapons and change the magazines. Beyond that, I'm a danger to myself and others. :wink: But, at least I recognize that fact and am working to change it.

Now, where's that Dremel?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I prefer the look of the spur, but with it my BHPs also used to bite the hand that fed them. Rounding the spur and narrowing the hammer spine saved my right hand from further scarring. Yost, Novak's, Garthwaite, or any of the great smiths on this site can do it for you - just send them your hammer. Charge for this mod is somewhere around $25-$35, which is much cheaper than buying a C&S hammer and having it fit. Also, if you have fleshy hands, both the C&S Type I and Type II will probably still nip you. C&S has a new, no bite hammer that just came out, which is another option. Stay safe and keep the brass flying. SRT

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hello. I was fortunate enough to get a Behlert Hammer/sear set. I have been bitten by every hammer out there except the Behlert hammer. The ball on the hammer is much smaller than the C&S, thus making the throw shorter, thus making for a no biter. I have very meaty hands, and this hammer has solved the problem. Now, if Mr Behlert will just get some more of these on the market. :eek:

·
Registered
38 Posts
hammer bite

Hello,

I am not a gunsmith nor do I know much about metals, I have been told that the C & S hammer and sear are harder than stock parts. Hence the change to a no bite hammer and if you are going to send it off to a smith, may as well send the sear to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Beavertail

Hello,

then again if your gonna send it out to a gunsmith, may as well have the beavertail put on. They sure feel nice and you never have to worry about that bite thing again. there have been some really nice pictures of some nice beavertails done by some smiths on this site. I have a beavertail on my 40 bhp, seems to handle the recoil very well with this modification. I also have the no bite, sear combo from c&s and like that set up just as well. Then i have a garthwaithe with a type two hammer. you know what they all shoot well and any of the listed combos would work, Just gotta decide how much money you wanna spend.mmmmmmmgot a bit long ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.