Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a HP and was wondering who would be best to work on it. I think I've narrowed down to Garthwaite, Williams or Wickmann. Any votes for one or the other and why? Any other smiths I'm missing from list of choices?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-05-12 13:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
Under the theory of you stay with what works, I have to vote for my HP 'smith Wickmann. Easy to deal with, easy to find [he answers the phone :smile:], and builds a phenom HP.

Although, I have heard good things about the others you mention.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Art Leckie in PA. http://www.leckiecustomguns.com Novak's http://www.novaksights.com Personally would advise at least talking to ea. of the mentioned 'Smiths . You'll probably find out some things aren't rec'd or needed and others that you weren't aware of that are rec'd, etc. In case you aren't aware.....See also http://www.fnhipower.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-05-12 20:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Mr. Jacobson!

I didn't know you were on the board -- it's an honor and a pleasure to have you respond to my post. Didn't know you did BHP work but I already have plans to send you a Sig 220 when I get done with my BHP and 1911 projects.

Thanks and speak to you in the near future! :smile:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Depends on whether you want an aesthetically pleasing work of art or a working gun.
If you want a solid working gun I would suggest Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems. Mark has done several HP's for me or students, and they were all first rate. He knows how to dehorn a handgun properly, and does as good a trigger job as I've seen on a HP. His spray and bake finishes hold up better than most to holster wear and hard use. He does excellent stippling as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just received a custom Hi - Power from Jim Garthwaite and he does excellent work. Highly recommended.

I know Kurt Wickmann and he does excellent work also.

The sty;les of the two men differ - study their work and decide which style you prefer. I don't think you'll go wrong with either pistolsmith.

Or make it easy - get one from both!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Larry,
Both would be nice BUT I need to reserve some money for a custom 1911 that I'll be putting together from a military man who gunsmiths out of NC named Vickers -- wow, what a coincidence on your names! :wink:

His wait list is driving me nuts though and can't wait to send in my pistol :smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Garthwaites style is more like a Hoag - Heinie - Garthwaite lineage; real clean detail work - almost to the point that if you didn't know better you would think the gun came that way from the factory - except that no factory can do work like that.

Wickmans style is from the Swenson - Novak - Wickman lineage where the custmization accents the fact the gun has been customized - hence the matting on the slide, etc. No factory would do that on a factory pistol. This would be more a German flavor.

Both styles are very attractive when tastefully done - and Jim and Kurt both execute tastefully.

Some people like one style or the other - I happen to like both.

Hope this helps - I learned the nuances of this many years ago from my buddy Hackathorn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My P-35 was worked on by Kurt Wickman while he was with Novaks. It is the only custom P-35 that I have ever seen, so my opinion carries less weight than others on the forum. I am happy with it and will keep it until I can buy a PHASER.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had mine done by Curt Wickmann and it is a fine pistol. It's one that will die along with me. However, I bought a used HP customized by EGW. Their work was not bad either and would be a consideration.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.