Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a HP and was wondering who would be best to work on it. I think I've narrowed down to Garthwaite, Williams or Wickmann. Any votes for one or the other and why? Any other smiths I'm missing from list of choices?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hoser on 2001-05-12 13:49 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
Under the theory of you stay with what works, I have to vote for my HP 'smith Wickmann. Easy to deal with, easy to find [he answers the phone :smile:], and builds a phenom HP.

Although, I have heard good things about the others you mention.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Art Leckie in PA. http://www.leckiecustomguns.com Novak's http://www.novaksights.com Personally would advise at least talking to ea. of the mentioned 'Smiths . You'll probably find out some things aren't rec'd or needed and others that you weren't aware of that are rec'd, etc. In case you aren't aware.....See also http://www.fnhipower.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Pistolero on 2001-05-12 20:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wickmann did my HP while he was at Novak's. He does nice work. I'm sure you will be pleased with it if you choose him. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Mr. Jacobson!

I didn't know you were on the board -- it's an honor and a pleasure to have you respond to my post. Didn't know you did BHP work but I already have plans to send you a Sig 220 when I get done with my BHP and 1911 projects.

Thanks and speak to you in the near future! :smile:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Depends on whether you want an aesthetically pleasing work of art or a working gun.
If you want a solid working gun I would suggest Mark Graham at Arizona Response Systems. Mark has done several HP's for me or students, and they were all first rate. He knows how to dehorn a handgun properly, and does as good a trigger job as I've seen on a HP. His spray and bake finishes hold up better than most to holster wear and hard use. He does excellent stippling as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just received a custom Hi - Power from Jim Garthwaite and he does excellent work. Highly recommended.

I know Kurt Wickmann and he does excellent work also.

The sty;les of the two men differ - study their work and decide which style you prefer. I don't think you'll go wrong with either pistolsmith.

Or make it easy - get one from both!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Larry,
Both would be nice BUT I need to reserve some money for a custom 1911 that I'll be putting together from a military man who gunsmiths out of NC named Vickers -- wow, what a coincidence on your names! :wink:

His wait list is driving me nuts though and can't wait to send in my pistol :smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Larry (and others):

How do you describe Garthwaite's style? How do you describe Wickmann's style? How are they different from one another's???

·
Registered
27 Posts
Garthwaites style is more like a Hoag - Heinie - Garthwaite lineage; real clean detail work - almost to the point that if you didn't know better you would think the gun came that way from the factory - except that no factory can do work like that.

Wickmans style is from the Swenson - Novak - Wickman lineage where the custmization accents the fact the gun has been customized - hence the matting on the slide, etc. No factory would do that on a factory pistol. This would be more a German flavor.

Both styles are very attractive when tastefully done - and Jim and Kurt both execute tastefully.

Some people like one style or the other - I happen to like both.

Hope this helps - I learned the nuances of this many years ago from my buddy Hackathorn.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My P-35 was worked on by Kurt Wickman while he was with Novaks. It is the only custom P-35 that I have ever seen, so my opinion carries less weight than others on the forum. I am happy with it and will keep it until I can buy a PHASER.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My vote would be for Kurt Wickmann, he built my BHP Spec Ops while he was still at Novak's and I am really pleased with that gun.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had mine done by Curt Wickmann and it is a fine pistol. It's one that will die along with me. However, I bought a used HP customized by EGW. Their work was not bad either and would be a consideration.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts