Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991A1 that I bought back in 1996.
I had Bob Miller of "Action Sports of Texas" put the usual Ed Brown beaver tail, EB Ambi safety, EB 20 LPI MSH, Vedeki trigger with STI sear and hammer (4 lbs crisp pull), Novak low mount sights, one piece FLGR, and a very nice stippled front strap.
I kept the pistol's slide to frame, barrel and bushing stock. I didn't want to lose the drop in the mud reliability of the John M. Browning tolorances.

The pistol is a pure carry gun. If I had Bob fit a match barrel to the slide and a match bushing, would I lose the dust and dirt reliability of the original Browning specs.

My view of a carry gun is a gun that would go thru the same stuff that I went thru in my 6 years in the 82nd, example: Grunge, dirt, sand, and sub zero weather.

P.S. Yes I want a SHTF pistol as is my army upbringing. I know a tight slide to frame fit can be a hazard for the parameters I just described, but does a nice barrel and bushing cause a loss to that?

·
Registered
209 Posts
On 2001-08-23 01:13, EIGHTYDUECE wrote:
P.S. Yes I want a SHTF pistol as is my army upbringing. I know a tight slide to frame fit can be a hazard for the parameters I just described, but does a nice barrel and bushing cause a loss to that?
You can actually get away with a looser slide/frame fit, but for accuracy, the barrel MUST lock up tightly. A match barrel, the has been broached propeerly, and the chamber/throat cut correctly contributes more to accuracy, from what I've been told...

Good luck!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I read somewhere that the slide to frame fit only attributes 15% to the accuracy of a 1911. Most important is the barrel to slide fit. The sights are connected to the slide and if the barrel locks up into the slide tight you have accuracy. I fit a match barrel in my Combat Elite and didn't touch the slide to frame fit. The gun puts the shots in one ragged hole. It has never had a failure of any kind and I would carry it anywhere.

·
Registered
126 Posts
IMHO, an idealized slide to frame fit only contributes perhaps 5% or so to the accuracy of a 1911.

The reliability of a correctly fitted match barrel can be at least as high as that of a standard barrel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve Morrison on 2001-08-23 19:34 ]</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.