Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shane had posted this over yonder, and since I hadn't seen it here, thought I would ccross-post, so that Dane could Chime in....
http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001887.html

Originally posted by shane45:
Looked at the wave many many times and finnally it struck me. My "other sport" is high performance sport bikes. I have had many and been through 3 times as many back tires hehe. Anyway to the point. Grip is life in sport bikes and I thought the grip pattern for rear tires would translate very well to the front strap of a 45. The wave by BCP gave me the idea. Here is a link to a few tire pics so you can see what Im talking about. Dane, I volunteer my SA SS Loaded 45 as the gunie Pig hehe :grin: http://jeepsubaru.com/shane/tires/
Damn Shane... I had already considered this when I saw some Dunlop's on my buddies bike a while back.

I thought that might be a great pattern. Most of the patterns you see are Directional, and I don't know if they would work well... Some might be hard to program on the CNC, but I might be willing to be a Pinni-Gig too :grin:

I think the ones in the pic AZAROAV40.jpg might be a good start :wink:

Anyway...

·
Registered
781 Posts
One important thing to remember: On streetbike bike tires, the smooth surface is providing the traction, while the sipes provide only a directional path for water drainage. If I thought adding siping to the slicks on my top fuel bike would give me more traction, I'd be out cuttin' on them right now. :smile: Think soft rubber-hard pavement. On a 1911, it's kinda the opposite, huh. Here, you're wanting the cuts to provide the traction, and they do so as a function of size, shape, directionality, and ratio of cut:smooth surface area. As such, the wide expanses of smooth front strap between cuts might look cool, but might not work as well as one might think. With Dane's 'Wave', the variable directionality of the cuts is what would seem to provide the "just right" amount of grip.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Cool stuff guys! I am persona non grata at the 1911 forum so I don't visit unless someone points me there.

Great ideas all on the tread design and I suspect many of them will work. Set up time is the key here for production costs and machine time, so While Dick has the scallops down pat and Ned is doing Conamyds, Peter and I are sticking with the WAVE for awhile :smile:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.