Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
271 Posts
On 2001-08-07 21:01, jm10mm wrote:
How can the IDPA concider this to be a true championship match when they won't allow the shooters that won state and regional titles to participate?
Who said they are not allowed in? They are, they just have to hope for a slot with all the other people who want in.

I can see your point, state winners move to a region, regionals move on to the Nats. But what about the average guy, who works hard, and for a living, and can not afford to travel to a multitude of intermediate matches? Shouldn't this person have a shot at it as well? I think so. I know someone like this and they won SSP SS at the Nats two years ago.

This year, IDPA said you had to have a major match under your belt before you could apply. Meaning a state or regional. That's why there were so many state championship matches in April and May of this year. To get qualified. They are working on it, but it is not a perfect system, especially when, like Mike said, 5000 people want in.

PS: I'm going.

· Registered
271 Posts
Right now the Nats is like a big state championship. Everybody knows everybody, it's friendly and fun. I hope it stays that way. I think it is that way because there are a lot of shooters who are just happy to be there, want to see how good they are, and do not really care if they win anything.

I think they need to let more people in. Last year at our stage, we could get a squad through in 20 min. We were anywhere from 40 min to an hour ahead at lunch and at the end of the day. If they had added 5 shooters per squad, at 8 squads a day, another 120 shooters could have gotten in.

One more thing, if you really want in, and you have it read it is full, just go to the match and see if a slot opens up because someone was a no show. I know at least one shooter who did that last year. If you do not get in, where else can you talk to Richard Heinie while you fondle one of his guns and dream.

· Registered
271 Posts
I think it is between 300 and 350 counting SO's. Do not know for sure.

· Registered
271 Posts
There are slots available for SO's available I think. If you really want one, call HQ and verify. We would love to have you join us.

· Registered
271 Posts
While I am a certified SO, I know of no requirements to be one for the Nationals. That doesn't mean it wouldn't help to be one. They are looking for experience not just certificates. You have nothing to loose by asking.

· Registered
271 Posts
On 2001-08-23 16:26, Ted Murphy wrote:
FWIW, S.O.'s are supposed to be certified for all sanctioned (state, regional &national) matches.

Ted
That's the goal. But for this year and this match, there could be exceptions. Depends on how many are still needed. Mute issue if they have enough SO's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.