Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When we set up IDPA matches at our local range we always have to set them up so folks are done shooting quickly and can leave. I like to come to shoot but we hear a lot of grumbling if the match goes over 3 hrs including the safety meeting. This is for a 4 stage 70-80 round shoot for 35 shooters broken into 4 groups. We have an RO traveling with each group.

I was curious to how long it takes you all to shoot an IDPA match and if you like longer higher round count matches or quick sordid affairs where you are in and out in a couple of hours.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if we shot for 5 hrs but some have to get home to take care of their honey do list.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Around here we run a five stage IDPA match with a surprise stage at just about every match. The matches start around 10:00 and finish around 2:00-2:30. After the match, at my club anyway, I usually drag out a bunch of poppers and we do man on man steel for two hours or so. Or until people run out of ammo or time.

IPSC matches also start at 10:00 and are six stages.

I haven’t heard any crying about going long. The only crying I hear is on a football Sunday and the Broncos are playing "someone’s" team. I usually just let those folks shoot through.

Most around here feel they came out to shoot and plan on making a day of it. Start shorting them stages/rounds/stage quality, and they dont come back.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom Freeman on 2001-07-05 10:03 ]</font>

·
Registered
262 Posts
We generally run five stages each month. SOs arrive about 8:00 (which is a pain when you live an hour and a half away) to set up. SOs are supposed to shoot from 10:00 to noon but invariably run late. We serve lunch at noon. The shooters begin at 1:00 (or whenever the SOs finish :smile:).

We also have an SO stationed to run people through the classifier from 9:00 to 12:00.

Lately we've been shooting man on man steel after the match. Everybody puts in $5, shoots 10 plates ranging from 5-1/4" to 8" staggered in height from 15 yards. Top four shoot off for half the pot. The other half goes to the club.

It's a pretty good setup, but as an SO it can be a very long day.

Chad

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chad Ward on 2001-07-05 10:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
22 Posts
BillD,

One of the IDPA matches I frequently shoot averages around 60 shooters 4-5 stages, morning set up and the shooting finished early afternoon, no complaining that I am aware of.

My comment would be to cater to those who come to shoot, not those who come to whine. I would much rather go shoot at a facility run like Tom or Chad, than one that cuts things short because some guys "have things to do". I would soon be going some where esle or finding something else to do with my time (and money). I don't want to get up early, make the drive to only shoot 3 short stages and be done.

I, (as does everybody these days), always have more to do than time to do it, but my shooting days are just that. The cell phone is off and everything else will still be there at the end of the day.

laters,

gr

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kahana on 2001-07-05 12:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
322 Posts
We try to be shooting at 10:30, and we're usually done by 2:00. Set-up and tear-down add two or three hours to that. If people want to get in and out as quickly as possible, they can show up at 10:15 and leave at 2:00 - we don't usually make any special accommodations for anyone. I'm at the range from 9:00-3:00; it's a day of shooting, so why would I want to leave early?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.