Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have been shooting for about 4 months now, only about 1000 rds of 45 ACP, and 200 of 22cal pistol due to school responsibilities, but my last classes of my college career will be over on August 13th.

Since I have not secured a job as of yet, I will be moving home until I find a job during the fall recruiting season.

So, since I will be at home, and my sportsmen club is only 3/4 of a mile down the road from my house, I will be shooting more.

There is an IDPA club about 45 minutes north of me, and I have had the goal of shooting IDPA since I started shooting.

So, how will I know when I am ready to start IDPA? Are there any drills besides the IDPA qualifier that I can gauge my ability with that will tell me if I am ready or not?

Outdoors I can put all my shots into a 3" circle at 21 ft, pretty much the same at 35 ft, but horrible at 75 feet indoors (so much noise I flinch).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Lars...one of the things that I like the best about IDPA is the way most of the people at the matches help the newcomer...Go to your local match...introduce yourself and tell them that this is the first time for you (they will be gentle. :wink:

Make sure that you understand each stage...if you don't ask the RO....they will help you...Don't worry about speed at the beginning...If you have to go really slow to get your hits...thats ok...you can only move up from where you start...

and most of all....have fun!!

Good luck
Greg

·
Registered
548 Posts
As soon as you have a holster and a couple mag pouches, a willingness to learn, you are ready for an IDPA or IPSC match.

I have given many safety classes to new shooters and they do fine. The people that don’t do well are the self proclaimed "old heads" who have been shooting guns since I was born.

Just remember two things about competition shooting, only one guy can be first and if it’s not fun anymore, quit and do something else.

The name of the game is hitting the target. Going fast will come with time. Just go slow and hit the target.

Go out there and have some fun.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
248 Posts
Reposted from another thread:

You'll love shooting IDPA. First Timer Advice:

Go to the website http://www.idpa.com and download the rulebook. It's a short read.

Make sure you have a couple of extra magazines for your first match. You always need more than you have

Practice your draw stroke and moving with your pistol DRY, i.e. take a couple of minutes at home to ingrain taking your finger out of the trigger guard and keeping the pistol pointed downrange while moving.

Make sure you tell the match director that you're a new shooter. Every IDPA club I've ever shot with has been extremely welcoming to new shooters. They understand that you're nervous and will generally pair you up with an experienced shooter to guide you through the match. At our IDPA club, new shooters shoot their first match free. We also have a brief safety lecture and range command review before each match -- a reminder for the experienced shooters and a quick overview for the new shooters. If your club doesn't do this, ask the match director or your shooting partner to go over the range commands with you.

Remember that the unload/show-clear at the end of the stage is OFF THE CLOCK. The shot timer stops when you fire your last shot, so don't let the adreneline rush push you into trying to unload and show clear in a hurry. Take your time.

Shoot slowly and carefully. Your first match will be a blast. Resist the urge to shoot faster than you can. You'll be doing unfamiliar things in unfamiliar ways -- SLOW DOWN. You'll get better hits, be safer and have more fun. Don't worry if it takes you three times as long to finish a stage. At our club bragging rights go to the person who shoots with the fewest points down rather than the fastest shooter.

Watch the other shooters go through the stage. Most ROs, if they know you're new to IDPA, will make sure you have a chance to see several other shooters complete the stage so that you have an example to follow.

Help paste targets! That, more than anything else, will endear you to your new club.

Take a snack . Our club provides lunch, but I don't know how many others do. You'll get hungry.

If all else fails, remember "front sight, press" and don't worry about anything else.

Have fun.
Chad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.