Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Since IDPA is still just "competition", having separate gun and ability classes, they need a Senior classification. This could give us Old Geezers a break from the running, etc. & allow more weight given to accuracy & skill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hafta say the dump the "tactical reload with retention" as a requirement. And if I get another choice, it would be to add an "open" class with any mods you want as long as it still fits in the box.

·
Registered
64 Posts
-Allow up to 6-inch barreled revolvers (plenty of LEO carried and do carry this as well as some civilians).

-Put 10mm back in CDP "or" separate the Divisions by caliber i.e. SSP .35caliber/SSP .40 & up caliber. Same for the other divisions and you can then have just 3 Divisions each split into 2 categories (Reason for this. How in any way can you have a level playing field shooting, for example, a 10mm in ESP against a .38Super?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: G. Kennedy on 2001-08-25 23:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
271 Posts
On 2001-08-25 10:21, jm10mm wrote:
If you had the opportunity to change an IDPA rule what would it be and why?
In the new rule book under CoF guidelines for sanctioned matches, it says,

Only one non-threat target may be used per every three threat targets in any string of fire.
I do not think there should be limit in how many no-shoots there can be amoung threat targets. Seen some really good stages with a few non-threats and a couple of BG's. If they are only going to have a 1:3 ratio of NT to T, then make hits on a non-threat 10 or 15 sec not 5.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ditch the chickenshit TAC reloads and reloads with retention. If you need to worry about retreating to pick up ammo you have left behind, chances are you are already dead.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
136 Posts
The tac reload and reload with retention are skills that shold be kept and practiced. Those from the gamey side of action pistol find it to slow them down.

As the last poster is from USAF, chances are he is not a Security Policeman, PJ or Combat Controller; it is obvious he does not appreciate topping off your firearm. The TR and RWR are to save all possible ammunition, yet have a fully charged firearm in case Ghengis and the Hord come around the corner. This is especially true in CQB.

Its simple, play the game by the rules that are set down. If you really don't like them either don't play or play it your way; there are boxes on the score sheet to handle your views.

·
Registered
548 Posts
No I am not a PJ, SP, or some other alphabet job. I am a C-130 Loadmaster and parachute rigger. And no, I am not a leg.

I completely agree that a weapon should be topped off every chance you get. But to spend several seconds fumbling with mags when it can be accomplished in half the time without risking dropping both mags, makes no sense to me.

The question posed was what IDPA rule would you want changed and why. If I was the gamer you think I am, wouldn’t I have asked for dot scopes and comps and 27 round mags? I don’t mind the rules and I play by them. I just don’t like the TAC reloads. I think they are stupid. That is just my opinion, not an attack to those who like TAC reloads.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think the big problem with Tac loads (and RWR) is the way they are used in scenarios. As I understand it, they are to be done when there is a lull (note: I am not attempting to specify in real time what a lull is, lets just say it could be brief moment to a long time) in the fight and you are topping off. I think they should be off the clock. Shooting dry is on the clock.

As a course designer, and you want them to perform a tac load, at a certain point in the CoF give them cover to do it, and another start signal after they have completed it. Make the CoF seem logical such that the tac load makes sense. Just do not make someone do it for the sake of doing it.

I think they should stay, but we need to work on how they are used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the subject of tac reloads, of COURSE anyone with a brain is going to top off their firearm when the shooting stops. Also of course anyone with a brain isn't going to stop with rounds loaded to top off with bad guys still shooting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
TAC reloads should be done ON THE CLOCK. Everyone is so concerned about the spirit of IDPA, Yet you do not want to do somthing fast to increase skills that may be needed in a do or die situation.

1. TAC Loads should be done on the clock behind cover only. You wouldn't be doing a tac load standing face to face in a gun fight. only from behind cover.

2. They should be on the clock because this makes people practice such a load and speed in a real life situation is desperately needed for the chance to survive.

3. Reloads with retention should be outlawed in IDPA. IMO. While doing a RWR someone could surprise you and you dont want to be left with one round or an empty gun for very long.

4. Increase power factors to REAL LIFE. Never have understood the PF for CDP. If you cant handle a 45 then dont use a 45.

5. Should shoot from concealment at all times. How many people are going to walk down the street or go to a store with out a concealment garment.

6. Here is something on the JUST FOR FUN SIDE. Create a class for SA revolvers. There are plenty of people out there who like to shoot them and dont want the Hassle of the SASS and the dated clothes with all the guns and such.

My two cents

Kevin

·
Registered
64 Posts
rkpshooter,

I would like to comment as to what you said about the power factor. There is perfectly valid reasoning for having the 165 power factor.....Officers length and shorter slides.

At the Single Stack Classic for instance they have used the 165 power factor for years. They're reasoning was that someone shooting an Officer's length gun should have no problem making the power factor with full power ammo.

Having said that I shoot a full size 1911 at matches using full power factory ball or JHP's....I only shoot reloads in practice and those are loaded to hardball specs.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've posted this else where but he goes again for you benefit. According to the IDPA rulebook the power factor should be measured from the longest length barrel allowable in the class your shooting. If your shooting the 45acp then your loads should be measured in a gov't model 5' barrel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
These are all good points. I have been thinking more about the tac reload. I think that you should be able to do any kind of a reload you want (with out dropping a loaded magazine.) I also agree with steve. If you can reload on the move go for it.

Never thought about the barrel length thing when it comes to pf. However, how much velocity difference is there at 10 feet out.

kevin

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.