Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
73 Posts
As long as we're answering questions- why hasn't IDPA written me back concerning moving the 10mm down to ESP?
FWIW, the 10mm was bumped to ESP after Rob Leatham demonstrated/described how it had a competitive edge over the .45acp. The BOD, fearing a new arms race in CDP bumped it out. The vote was far from one sided.

At this years nationals the HQ staff mentioned how many hundreds of emails and letters they have received asking questions about the new rule changes. I suppose they have not gotten to your letter yet. FWIW, emails are usually replied but not so for snail mail.

Ted

· Registered
73 Posts
On 2001-11-13 15:03, slidelock1 wrote:
I would like to see higher round counts. The heck with going to a club match with 4 stages and 35 rounds.
Low round count COF's are one of the pilliars of IDPA's philosophy & I seriously doubt that will change ever.

If you want to "Matrix" a match, check out http://www.uspsa.org. I've shot 50+ round stages at USPSA matches. Both diciplines have their qualities.

Ted

· Registered
73 Posts
On 2001-11-13 15:03, slidelock1 wrote:
I would like to see higher round counts. The heck with going to a club match with 4 stages and 35 rounds.
Low round count COF's are one of the pilliars of IDPA's philosophy & I seriously doubt that will change ever.

If you want to "Matrix" a match, check out http://www.uspsa.org. I've shot 50+ round stages at USPSA matches. Both diciplines have their qualities.

Ted

· Registered
73 Posts
So what did Leatham say/do that made it seem like the 10mm has an advantage over the 45?
From what I was hearing, the 10mm loaded right to the power factor has a measure of controlability over the .45 at the same pf. While IDPA was created to use "full power" ammunition, most folks reload right to the minimum of the Power factor. Leatham explained how the .40 calibers had some advantages (iirc it was a quicker recovery and softer recoil) to the same gun in .45-given loads at 165pf.

FWIW, most serious experimentor type USPSA limited 10 shooters tell me the .40 is still their choice cause of shootability at the 165pf. Something to do with the 180 grain bullet working better in the smaller bore size.

I dunno myself, but that is what I was told.

Ted

· Registered
73 Posts
On 2001-11-16 11:54, TaxPhd wrote:
I don't think that controlability is the reason that the .40 cal dominates Limited and Limited 10. It's because this is the smallest bullet diameter that by the rules is allowed to make major. Smaller diameter means more rounds in the mag.
For limited, you are correct. But for limited 10, it isn't too big a deal as there isn't any advantage in a widebody for either caliber & the 10 rd single stack mags aren't too unmanagable either. When L-10 came out several of the hard core USPSA shooters I know dug out their older single stacks & W/R 10 round magazines. Most of them went back to the .40, saying they preferred the way they shot. YMMV.

· Registered
73 Posts
On 2001-11-19 20:14, Brent Chambers wrote:
So, if a master level shooter like Leatham found a marginal advantage for the 10mm auto over the .45 ACP in CDP 10mm gets kicked out?
Yep, that's about it.

How then does a 9mm Glock 17 not have an advantage over a .40 Glock 22 in SSP?
FWIW, I shoot the two the same, but I know that isn't the point of the question. From what I heard, the issue was hotly contested and passed by a narrow margin at the BOD meeeting.

The idea was, the 10mm is this somewhat obscure caliber with a small handful of current shooters and a highly limited availability in commercial off-the-shelf M1911 offerings. The fear was that if the 10mm (like the G34 or Beretta Elite) was billed as the "must have" for its division the resulting arms race would make CDP a pricey division, as you couldn't get an out of the box Kimber or Springfield and play.

Slippery slope, but the ruling passed. :sad:

In SSR the moonclip guns dominate.
Not to change the subject but few SSR shooters seem to care about the moonclip's supremacy, it always seems to be the non roundgun shooters obsessed by this. While near all the Ma class shooters shoot them, the Ex and below classes have a strong showing of speedloaded revolvers. I've seen quite a bit of sliver given out at matches won by roundgun shooters with the "inferior" std chambered guns.

Ted

[/quote]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.