Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've posted this else where but he goes again for you benefit. According to the IDPA rulebook the power factor should be measured from the longest length barrel allowable in the class your shooting. If your shooting the 45acp then your loads should be measured in a gov't model 5' barrel.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
IDPA doesn't allow any adding of weight except a FLGR as long as it is steel. No Weighted Mags,No bull or coned barrels. etc. The reasoning is that it tame yhe recoil a bit and gives you an advantage on follow up shot. The same reason they moved the 10mm out of CDP.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Ned, I shot my 9mm SA Ultra compact at a natch the other day and beat my .45 score by 3 seconds. I may be at a disadvantage to those with larger mags but I had fun and now know the pistol is ready for action.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yea, I like R4A. I used the mags that came with the gun. Totally stock gun with a tune-up. No mag well, no mag pads. That little gun shoots as well as the big ones. I still don't like the square front strap. It beats hell out of my PPK/S.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Sounds like some bad information is being passed around. Grip mods are legal,spacer plates aren't for weight, they are for safety and size adjustments. I shoot pachmayers because they have plates molded into them. I had a 38 super blow out and those grips saved my hands.

The 10 mm "production" gun doesn't have to be a factory gun. You can make your own as long as it is a Production spec gun. No long dust covers and the rest of the forbidden mod list.

No gun is allowed a tungsten guide rod. Only steel is permitted.

Lets face it there are always ways to "game" anything. Rob could kick my butt with a Daisy and a "gamers" gun wouldn't help me.

I've seen guys with huge magwells that wouldn't fit in the box, carrying 7 and 8 round mags in case the senerio lends itself to the gamers edge,The one I like is the "French" cuts on the slide and milling to lighten it.

What I would like to see is IDPA major matches include in their fee the amount of factory cartridges you will need to shoot the match. All the 45 shooters would shoot the same 230 ball, as well as the 9mm's, and so forth.When you register you just tell them what you will be shooting and they will tell you what you're getting. Then you can go get a few boxes of the stuff and set your gun up to work with it. Hows that sound, everyone shoots the same power factor in their division and we are left with judging skills and speed.

I've yet to have my gun checked at any IDPA event,even the nationals. I guess I have too much self esteem to cheat, but I can see the opportunity for others if they were so inclined.

· Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
The reload with retention is when you take your current magazine out of the gun and put it away for later, then pull your fresh mag and insert it in the gun to top off your gun. The Tac reload is where you pull the fresh mag first and bring it to the gun before you drop the current mag into the otherpart of your hand and change mags at the gun, then put the old mag away.

Like it or not it is a game and these are the rules. Are they tactically sound? If you got yourself in a real fire fight, you'll hope you had practiced those skills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.