Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The good Col. Cooper has made a statement in his latest musings that hits the nail on the head. Without trying to quote directly, he has stated how stupid it is to do a tactical reload in a timed competition. The tactical reload is done when you HAVE time, not the case in a timed competition. Right on Col! When you are shooting under the clock in a combat type competition, all reloads should be done from slide lock.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillD on 2001-05-21 09:36 ]</font>

·
Registered
581 Posts
I hate to say it, but I agree with Jeff Cooper on this one.

I believe the only reason IDPA forces you to do a tac reload was so they could get away, far away, from IPSC. In this case, too far.

Maybe Larry Vickers could shed some light into what the D boys train with now. It’s been several years since I left AFSOC, and longer (93) since I have played with Delta.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
274 Posts
I agree 100%. All Tac reloads should be off the clock. To reinforce how I think about it, at the Southern Regional, if you are required to do a Tac reload, it will be off the clock. If you run dry (which you will on some stages), reload from slide lock or empty cylinder will be on the clock.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am not aware of any SWAT/HRT/entry/spec-ops that specifically practice the IDPA-styled tactical reloads. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have never trained or been trained to concentrate on tactical reloads. Quick reloads from slide lock is a far more critical skill to master. Your life may depend on that one.

If you train too much with tac reloads, one day sooner or later you will end up hanging on to an empty mag, or putting that empty mag in your pocket, etc. because you forgot that the reason you dumped the mag in the first place was because you were at slide lock and your mag was empty. Train to hang onto mags, and YOU WILL. This is not a bad thing until you reach for that mag, thinking that there are some rounds left in it.

The only time to change mags is at slide lock - and by then the empty mag should be bouncing off the ground.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shane Kropf on 2001-05-21 15:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
500 Posts
Most shoots I've been to lately leave it up to the shooters,when,where and how to reload. Most opt for the slide lock reload insted of either of the tactical reloads. I have faith in human nature,they will make it right.

G

·
I am not sure of IDPA as I have only recently become involved in IDPA competition. In my travels during the 80's and early 90's I was able to cross train with teams from Israel, Korea, Japan and England. I do not recall any operators ever traing or even practicing IDPA style tactical reloads. It would seem the Col. still has some knowledge and solid perceptions to share.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-05-22 20:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
71 Posts
One of the Board of Directors for IDPA has been known to say one of the problems they see with a lot of the clubs is tactical reloads. He said that they were never supposed to be done "on the clock".

At our monthly matches we do not specify for anyone to do a tactical reload, unless it is off the clock in between strings of fire/or because we are keeping them loaded up to shoot another stage and they might want to use that mag. So, just about everybody shoots to slidelock at our matches....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Scooter,
I shoot a wheel gun most of the time so it's a rather moot point for me, but here's my $.02.
They changed the COF to either a Tactical reload or a Reload with Retention in stage three, strings one and two of the classifier. Why they left either in there at all is a mystery to me. Especially from 20 yards and behind a barricade.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The classifier is about testing the overall skills necessary to play the game. It's not about tactics, that's why you shoot the classifier without cover garments, and you get to reshoot a string or stage if there is equipment failure, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.