Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran a bit of IMI issue Ball (TZZ 85) through one of my 1911's and the primers on all the spent casings were severely flattened. Recoil seemed about normal and accuracy was about 1-1.5" at 25 yards. Ejection was about 12-14' to the rear. Just out of curiosity, I also ran a bit of Golden Sabre through the same gun and the primers showed no signs of excess preasure.

Is this common for IMI Ball and is it possible that these hot rounds caused any undue wear or battering of the weapon?

·
Registered
54 Posts
we use tzz .45ACP for training and have seen some signficant variations in velocity and pressure. As an ex-IMI employee let me say I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
503 Posts
By coincidence I did some consulting for the Army in the middle 80's regarding a couple of problems they were having with 1911s.

Turned out one of the problems was with TZZ ammo... most of it clocked well over 900 fps with some rounds going 1050 fps! They had several split barrels and barells that blew the bottom lug off (bear in mind these were from guns that had been made in 1943 and had seen almost half a million rounds ea.)

We traced the problem to the bullet sealant which caused erratic bullet pull and excessive pressure... still the average pressure from most TZZ 85 was well over +P ratings.

In a new quality gun (unless it is a Springfield Armory with a two-piece barrel) it might not break anything but it is probably not good to shoot a lot of it.

I can't say whether they fixed the problem or not.

Carry on,
Jim Higginbotham

·
Registered
207 Posts
What's IMI "TZZ"? I'm thinking about buying a case of IMI 45ACP, 230 gr. from Botach. Is this the same or different? Sam :smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
This has got me Curious.

I have a box, that one of the guy's just brought in and it is LOT:TZZ 89D004-001 185 gr Match Wadcutter. It comes in a plain brown box. Identifier No.45_37 A_2

Has anyone tried this? and if they have has it shown any abnormal behaviour?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I shot 1200 rounds of TZZ '85 at my last trip to Thunder Ranch without a hitch. I recovered most of my brass and in reloading it have not noticed any problems. It came in brown cardboard boxes with pull strips, I got it in a trade so I don't know where the guy originally got it but mine shot well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.