Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Walther PP .22 today that had me a bit puzzeled. The store owner said it was made in 1939. But when I looked at the slide it had an Interarms stamp, meaning it was made after 1962 I would assume. It had brown plastic stocks and a brown plastic finger rest magazine. No box or papers. Price was $289.00. Also, on the left side where the caliber is marked the markings were very faint. Almost as if the pistol had been buffed and re-blued. Overall condition and finishe were excellent, almost looked af it had never been fired. Was supposedly owned by a little old lady who kept it in her nightstand and sold to the gunshop after she passed on. Any thoughts???

G

·
It sounds like you are on target. If you look at it again see if the bottom of the lettering is fainter than the top. This is a pretty good indicator of a reblue. If the pistol is tight and clean I do not think you will get a better price from a dealer. The low price is also an indicator of a reworked pistol. Remember one thing. I have never lost a dime on a PP series pistol. Why? They have a mystique similar to a Mercedes or Porche. If you like the pistol you should buy it. Regards, Richard

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Richard on 2001-06-02 20:14 ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
are you sure you were'nt looking over my shoulder! You were bang on @ the lettering. I thought it was kind of weird that it was fainter at the bottom... makes sense though... I think the dealer is pretty honest, i've bought a few guns from him and he has always treated me square. He also runs an antique business so his knowledge of pistols may be limited. Thanks for your imput...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The importer's name must appear on the gun before it is sold in the USA. Even if the gun as in your case was made over 60 years ago. Many of the older guns coming into the USA existed long before the importers may have existed........Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.