Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 10MM Colt Double Eagle and would like opinions, positive and negative on this pistol. It feels great in my hand, seems tight, has a very smooth DA pull, and a light and crisp SA. Just wondering why they aren't more popular. Also, I noticed that the stock recoil spring is only 16#'s. This seems a bit light to me for a 10MM. Should I go to a 24# spring like suggested for a Delta Elite? Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Good choice! That is the most underappreciated DA auto, other than the Browning BDM perhaps.

The 16# will be fine for .40 S&W powered loads. I use a 16# for my plate loads, and 18 for IPSC and IDPA. For pins, or full power defense ammo I use a 22. I find the 24 is a bit too much and dips the muzzle, screwing up good double taps. It might work well for you.

I have never owned a Double Eagle, but I worked at a gun shop as an undergraduate and we had a few used ones, I remember a full size 10mm and a smaller .45 ACP that were a blast to shoot. Both had a nice DA pull and good decocker location.

A friend has a full size .45 which he also shoots .45 Super in with a second barrel.

You'll enjoy I'm sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The 10mm Double Eagle uses 1911 10mm mags. Externally it is the same dimensions as the .45 Double Eagle.

The best way to describe a Double Eagle is a gun with a 1911 upper and a modified for double action lower. DO NOT expect one to feel in the hand like a 1911, the frame differences are noticeable when gripping.

I think the Double Eagle was a very underrated gun. You just have to remember it is not a 1911.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I think the basic problem with the gun was the grips. The grips fully supported the linkage for the trigger and were made of plastic. If the plastic broke or cracked, you had a problem. It was a unique gun. I think I read somewhere that someone was reproducing the grips. I think it was on the 10mm web site. They weren't heavy use guns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.