Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
548 Posts
I agree with you 100%. I only shoot IDPA so I can shoot more. IDPA actually helps me at IPSC with accuracy. I also started shooting IDPA because our local IDPA club lost their range and I offered up mine. No sense on hosting IDPA matches if I can’t shoot in them. And I had an excuse to build more guns.

I have tried to make our IDPA matches five stages, one being a surprise stage, and around 75-85 rounds. After we are done with the match, we usually have a side match using rifle, shotgun or back-up guns.

Next month at our IPSC match, I am having a super classifier. Boring and ho-hum stages. So I am going to throw together a 75-80 round field course jungle run. Gonna break all the stupid IPSC rules too. Gonna mix targets, big and little poppers, more than 8/9 rounds required, ect ect ect... But I guess I shouldn’t say that as a SC.

Both are fun, IPSC is more fun though. Timers are involved, the targets don’t shoot back, so they are both a GAME. I have seen some guys think, "Hey, I did well in an IDPA match. Guess I am ready for a gunfight now." Scary, isn’t it?

Tom
AF Shooting Team

· Registered
548 Posts
The best part of both sports is fun. If it’s wasn’t fun, I wouldn’t do it.

The sad thing is that it only takes a few jerks in either (any) sport to turn people away.

All of the IDPA and IPSC pro's and cons are almost interchangeable.

IDPA, Tactical training.
IPSC, Not tactical.

IDPA, Low round count.
IPSC, High round count.

IDPA, carry gun competitive.
IPSC, carry gun competitive in production class. Not competitive in the other classes.

IDPA, Teaches gun handling skills.
IPSC, Teaches gun handling skills.

IDPA, Bad apples turn people away
IPSC, Bad apples turn people away

IDPA, Fun game.
IPSC, Fun game.

Good shooting to you all.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.