Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scott at SDM is building a custom Caspian 9X23 single stack for me. I am considering having a 9X19 barrel also fitted to use as practice since 9X19 ammo is much cheaper. Would this be a good idea? Is the 9X19 round a reasonable substitute for 9X23? Please share your thoughts.

G

·
Robe,
The 9mm is going to need additional parts, like 12lbs recoil spring, new fitted extractor, modified ejector to function reliably in your properly built 9x23.

Now, you can fit one gun for all three but it may not function reliably with the 9x23 ammo, I have witnessed this with the Colt Series 80 guns that were offered as a three barreled set in 9mm, .38Super, and 9x23.

The 9mm is a removed cousin of the 9x23 by a few generations and it will not provide the same shooting experience and recoil impulse/feel.

As an alternative, I would reccomend that you use .38 Super ammo for practice as it is widely available and fairly inexpensive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
On 2001-07-14 10:48, Bruce wrote:
9mm Largo can also be had for around 15 cents a round.
Yep..got some from aimsurplus.com a while back..very reasonable and decent ammo, even though berdan primed.

@$3.25 a box for 40 or more boxes it comes out to $.13 a round and with shipping about $.15 a round.

http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AIM_Rifl ... ion_8.html

click above^^^scroll about halfway down the page.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.