Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get a number of requests from my customers who already own a BCP or those that get a chance to handle one of my guns to rebuild their semicustom guns. Les Baer's work tops that list but I get Wilson's in for a rebuild too. Recently I have done a LB Commander size gun, a LB TRS and two of Wilson's CQB 5" pistols.

There are a couple of thing that I can never rebuild to my taste on the LB guns so I don't mark them. The Wilson guns have been different though. As we all know Kimber makes the frame and slide. I have been able to put original Heinie sights on a couple of the older guns and now actually recut and recontoured one of the current low profile Wilson sights more to my liking. These guns, I have indeed, maked with my makers mark after a total rebuild into something I am proud of and would carry myself.

I will post detailed closeup pictures tomorrow of this BCP/Wilson CQB and a LB that will ship this week. I think some might fine the details interesting. This gun has a .190 x .100 front and a rear with a .130 x.130 rear notch. That is the kind of details you pay for in a custom gun.

This gun will be for sale shortly @ $2700. Details and closeup pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
407 Posts
That looks really good Dane, I like the smooth look of the rear sight and also the idea of the wider rear notch ( i use to take a 4mm drill and make the hole bigger on my UZI's rear sight).
is that a Wilson frame? also tell us a bit about those fancy new BCP beavertails, thats the best looking fit I have seen on a tail and a high grip.

Shay

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shay on 2001-09-23 21:16 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd sell it to you Spackler but it aint a Sub. It's a SD :roll: Easy misunderstanding though!

SD

Sub

Now just to mess wichya..which is this?...quickly now! Which? Are you sure? :lol:

( Submariner of course with the cyclops removed )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-23 22:02 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Dane,

What exactly is your criteria for deciding if you put your mark on a pistol? What don't you care for about the Les Baer pieces?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Damn, I should have noticed it didn't have the cyclops. I think I like the SD better. Looks a little cleaner. But my favorite is still the GMT, cyclops and all. But try explaining to my wife my reasons for needing a $3500+ timepiece.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maker's mark? I get asked that often. Dbl thistle marked guns are only built from parts of my choice. A BCP single thistle gun is any gun that I am proud of. The gun has to be what I consider "finished" and something I would personally carry.

LB? LB did not stand behind his products when I was building on his frames. I would not carry one now because I don't trust the LB guarantee from my personal experience.

There s a saying in the high dollar used watch community, "buy the man not the watch".
Good saying for custom guns too IMO.

I will rebuild LB's on a limited basis. I won't mark them.

Dick Heinie commented to me a couple of days ago while looking at this year's offerings at USPSA Limited Nationals, "There are a bunch of folks building carry guns these days, and when you aren't shooting, you can cut cheese with them". Multi tool effect I guess :roll:

The guns I mark are CARRY guns no more or less. I don't build guns for a "tactical look". I build them to be tactical tools. Carry guns you can bet your life on.

Watches??

$3500! Dude, shop smart.....not a penny over $2500 for any of them. Try http://www.timezone.com and look for the "sales corner". But be careful!

I have worn a cyclops for 15 years or so.....never again. I should have done it much earlier. They are easy to remove.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-24 04:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
988 Posts
Dane, that is very nice. The "lines" of your work are routinely the best I have seen.

Tell us about the beavertail, will ya?

I got a gun here with 47 thistles up and down the slide...is it a keeper? :smile:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
tell us about those bevertails, are they ready for production yet.
I have a limited number of stainless or blue BCP beaveratils. They are $75 and take a Wilson jig to install. The beavertail is finished, but you'll have a great deal of material to remove from the frame. They will fit a Kimber perfectly with a little work. Price will come down when I buy in quantity sometime the near future.

The SD is also a lot thicker and heavier than the Sub or GMT.
Not by much Ricky, it is 2mm, one on top and one on the bottom. A tiny bit heavier but nothing I notice on my arm. What is different is the thickness of the SELs and the size of the bracelet links. It truly is "heavier" than the current production Sub.
I suspect Rolex takes a good deal more time regulating them also as the seem to be the most accurate of all automatics. Mine rivals any of the quartz sports watches.

Guns and watches in one place :eek: Tooo.... cool:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-23 23:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wilson's Combat production fixed sights..

BCP version of the Wilson sight with a deeper and wider notch and a narrow front and edges melted into the slide.

CQB detail

CQB overall view

BCP overall and details

Here is WC's commentary on their best grade pistol which is $1600 more than a CQB.

"Classic Super Grade"

"Time and effort are no restriction in the creation of our ultimate pistol- the Classic Super Grade. For this pistol we only use Wilson Combat's precision engineered and manufactured slide and frame--frames and slides that are hand selected by the Master Pistolsmiths to insure their fit is the best possible. This allows us to maintain the utmost in tolerances to achieve the perfection that is the Super Grade.

To the base of the select slide and frame, we add one of our stainless steel match barrels and a hand fitted bushing, our sturdy Lo-Mount Adjustable rear sight and a front post mounted in a dovetail. The rear of the slide checkered. Other parts such as our ambidextrous safety, ultralight hammer, high ride beavertail, and magazine well chute are fitted perfectly, and blended as required for both cosmetic and functional purposes.

Our Bullet Proof extractor, extended ejector, throating and polishing on the barrel throat and feed ramp, and the lowering and flaring of the ejection port all combine to insure complete reliability. Powered by our heavy duty recoil spring riding on a full length guide rod, the Classic Super Grade will perk along for a life time. The durable Armor-Tuff® coating on the slide and the Hard Chrome finish on the frame are perfect compliments to the hand checkering on the frontstrap and flat mainspring housing. At home, in competition or when carried for defensive purposes, the Super Grade is beautiful to the eye and a continuing joy to shoot.

Extras include six of our newly redesigned #47D, eight round magazines and a spare fitted and checkered extractor. The Super Grade is the one against which all others--from any source--will be compared. "

"Complete Pistol built $3,495.00"

The BCP best grade guns have my undivided attention and concerted efforts plus the two thistle trade mark. No comparison needed and $800 cheaper on just a "simple rebuild" to BCP standards an now a pistol I would carry to protect my family.

WC's comments about the original CQB I started with.

"The CQB is the choice of tactical shooting professionals! It's the weapon of choice for master firearms instructors like Ken Hackathorn, Mark Lonsdale and Rob Haught, as well as company president Bill Wilson. With maximum reliability and 1" at 25 yd precision, it's easy to see why the CQB is the choice of the pros.

Wilson's Tactical Combat sighting system with "Combat Pyramid™" is one of the fastest available and the tritium inserts aid in low light aiming. This system provides a precise sight picture under all conditions. Top all that off with a crisp trigger and beveled magazine well and the CQB becomes one of the finest defensive handguns around.

For a unique "Tactical" look, we've coated the slide with our corrosion resistant Armor-Tuff® finish in matte black, while the rest of the pistol is OD green Armor-Tuff®."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-24 03:59 ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice book, Dane! I had hoped to see it pictured with a different BCP though, and SOON. :razz:

As for LB's, I seem to remember one that you came bloody close to marking. :wink: If I can ever figure out the process, I'll post a photo of it.

Submariners? Mine is sorta like it's owner. Old and slightly beat up, some replacement parts, and runs a little slow. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Cosby on 2001-09-24 10:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had to check out the back ground effect. I thought the book might look good. It will look better next time and be more on point :grin:

Sub? Damn....if I'd only known I'd traded you out of that too;) Maybe for that elephant rig?

I do have a new mark for the LB guns, no thistle but a BCP logo.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Love the way the rear sight looks. Work of art.

A Sea Dweller? That's some serious watch. No too many people can appreciate the difference between that and a Submariner.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love the way the rear sight looks. Work of art.
Thank you sir :wink: Knowing your choices in custom 1911s I take that as a high compliment indeed.

A Sea Dweller? That's some serious watch. No too many people can appreciate the difference between that and a Submariner.
All it takes to appreciate a SD is growing old and not being able move your arm to see through the cyclops :grin: Next move is the no date sub when you can't read the date at all!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I've gotta agree there, those re-worked WC sights are the grooviest I've ever seen. Of course, I like Novaks, so what do I know? :grin:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of course, I like Novaks, so what do I know? :grin:
CB, these sights have the distinct infleunce of a Heinie and a generic profile, although lower, of a Novak.

The really fun thing is a slightly different sight picture than either.....but anyone shooting a set of Heinie Slant Pros would love them :smile: For the Novak user they would change your preference I suspect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-09-24 13:58 ]</font>

·
Registered
934 Posts
At first glance the reworked WC sights looks like someone had melted some Heinie Slant-Pros, so the influence from those sights are definitely there.

·
Registered
408 Posts
A little off topic, but i have a sad story, ill make it quick: My father gave me a Rolex Sea Dweller for my graduation present. I wore it a year or so, then when i joined the Coast Guard it was stolen from my locker at a local gym in Everett, WA.
:sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RMLamey on 2001-09-25 22:46 ]</font>

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.