Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum...but...this forum has been a little quiet.

I am fairly new to IDPA...I really enjoy this sport(I wish I would have started a long time ago.

anyway...are habits formed in plinking detremental to compition type of shooting...for instance...the first time I had to move forward while shooting a stage...I felt like a complete moron...I had never done that before...and all I have to say is...it was a good thing that I wasn't chewing gum at the same time. :wink:

And next...what kind of plinking is good for compitition.

thanks in advance

Greg

·
Registered
581 Posts
It depends on your definition of plinking. If you just go out and shoot dirt and test primers to make noise, yes it might be a waste. Now if you were to go out with an IDPA target at 50 or 25 yards and shoot at it with your Glock and then again with your S&W 41, that would be good. Chasing tin cans is also good. Walking towards them and away from them while shooting at them is also a challenge.

Every once in a while I will shoot dirt clods at 200 yards with my 10/22 from the bench. Not good for a lot other than watching the wind. And that helps with the turkeys and rams.

Trigger time is trigger time. Just try to shoot something you can get results from.

Then again, any of the above could be construed as practicing. And that’s just plain old cheating in anyone’s book.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
362 Posts
I would agree w/ Tom. Quality "trigger time" is quality "trigger time." I would just make sure you make sure you make every shot as good as you can...have fun :wink:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Did your plinking improve whatever aspect of your performance you were working on; i.e., mag changes, accuracy, movement? If so, it was worthwhile; if not, it was ballistic masturbation.

Either way, I'm sure you had fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.