Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about this for a little while. I think as soon as I purchased a handgun I never intended to carry I crossed a line between being a casual gun buyer and being a gun enthusiast. So, this is what I've got:
Ruger Security Six
S&W 642
Kimber Compact
Argentine Sistema 1911
H&R 38 S&W topbreak
Remington 870

Being just a student, I normally buy when I have the money, so I'm not keen on spending over $400 a purchase unless a fantastic deal comes my way. So logically and reasonably, where should I go from here? I've been toying with looking more seriously into one of these AK-47s I see around, maybe the SAR-1. Or possibly a Makarov. Maybe a CZ. I don't know. I like the idea of an AR-15, but laying down a grand on one weapon isn't for me right now.
So any suggestions on what I should wantonly purchase next?
Thanks
S.F.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I would say an assault rifle of some sort.

However, you didn't mention how often you practice with what you have. How good are you with your personal weapons? How much ammo do you use up a week? Do you intend to be proficient with your weapons or are you just collecting guns?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would keep the Kimber and the S&W 642 and sell the other guns to get some training and body armor.

I'll second Bill, get a defensive semi auto rifle. Ak-47s and M1 Garands can be bought for less than $600. Both rifles are battle proven designs. The SAR-1 can be had for about $300 and a case of ammo runs under a $100. The Garands are about $500 through CMP. I am not sure what a case of 30'06s costs.

Good Luck!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JM on 2001-09-16 09:40 ]</font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
An AK, AR or FAL would be the logical next step for your collection. I feel any gun enthusiast should own at least one tactical rifle. Another possible candidate would be a double stack 9mm if you're not interested in a rifle at this time.

Rick

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good question, I have a question for you: Are you a fellow who never, ever wants to sell a gun or do you like to trade up? I know both kinds. I am a trader and a seller myself, but if I added up all the money I have lost doing that I could have bought untold cool guns with the amount. However, I am not a patient person for the most part, so that is the price I pay for that.

In your boat I would get a rifle. If I had about 400 dollars to spend I would look into an Enfield SMLE in .308, you should be able to find them for under 200 bucks easily. www.gunsamerica or www.subguns are both good places to look. I would also consider a nice .22 rifle or pistol for inexpensive target shooting.

But, if it were me (its not, but if it were), I would keep the SW 642, the kimber and the 870 and sell the other stuff on one of the above mentioned boards or on this one and I would buy a nice garand, or a bushmaster post ban M-4 carbine. You should be able to get very nice examples of these guns for about 700-800 dollars and it would round out your arsenal nicely.

So, my vote is for a rimfire for fun and practice or for something that offers you a little distance. Personally, I think the garand is a really great rifle. If I was going to a gun fight I would rather have a garand than an AR-15, but that is probably just me. Another way to go is to get a mauser rifle. They are plentiful and cheap. I think http://www.lewhorton.com has them in pristine condition and they are reasonable. (It may be http://www.lewhorten.com, I get it mixed up sometimes).

I think you already have the really important ones - the kimber and the 870. Another idea is to go to http://www.wilsoncombat.com and click on their scattergun technologies link and look at those 870's. They can retro-fit your 870 into a really good shotgun for the amount of money you have to spend. At least take a look and see what you think.

Still, with all that said, you would probably be best served with spending the money on ammo and training. Good luck what ever you decide. Keep us posted.

Good shooting - Jake

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for my training, on a server's salary and a student's budget, I generally work with 100 rounds a week with my primary weapon. It used to be the Sistema, but it's undergoing some work (and actually has been for what some may call an unreasonable amount of time) so I've been carrying the Security Six. I carry .357s, but I stagger my practice sessions with both .357s and .38s. I just purchased the 870 and have shot about 6 rounds of law enforcement reduced recoil buckshot. I was very impressed with the accuracy both the ammo and the weapon afforded me, so I'm not liable to take the 870 out on a weekly basis. Having only bought the Kimber last Monday, I have not yet worked with it, but will begin doing so this coming Monday. Until I'm comfortable enough with the Kimber to carry it, I'll do 100 rnds a week with it, in addition to the 100 rnds with the Security Six. I have also spent some time trying to hold my ground at IDPA, different times with different weapons.
So I suppose I'm trying to say that I do try my best to be proficient with my weapons and I believe that I'm not bad. I'm decent and capable of some pretty good work, especially in light of the fact that I've only been shooting for a year.
And I am the sort of fellow who doesn't want to sell his guns. The Security Six was my first handgun, 642 is just too usefully concealable, Sistema my first 1911, Kimber is my first Kimber, H&R topbreak is a novel design (I still want topbreak in .45), and the 870 is my first shotgun. I'm a sentimental sort, I suppose you could say.

Good advice so far, thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samuel farber on 2001-09-16 14:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
218 Posts
Samuel,

Don't let any of these guys talk you into selling that Security Six, even to trade for something elso you just can't wait on!! You will regret it later.

I think a 4 inch .357 makes a great gun for field use, and also for teaching first time shooters. In my opinin you'll never find a better revolver than the Security Six, so hang on to it. (GP100 is a good gun, but huge and heavy.)

·
Registered
253 Posts
On 2001-09-16 14:15, samuel farber wrote:
As for my training, on a server's salary and a student's budget, I generally work with 100 rounds a week with my primary weapon.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: samuel farber on 2001-09-16 14:39 ]</font>
Sam, So far so good. In my unasked for opinion, forget buying a new gun and buy $500 worth of ammo and range time. Get out there and practice from behind cover, practice your draw from concealment. When you can draw from concealment and hit a popper at 10 yds in 1.5-2 seconds consistently, you are getting somewhere. More guns won't make you a better shot, practice will. Practice will make you a dangerous man. As long as your guns run, you have the tools you need. Shoot more, shoot more often. Shoot on the move then shoot on the move at moving targets. Make sure you know how to reload that 870 and understand it's functions. 6 rounds is not enough to get the drill down. You are off to a good start.

You need to decide if you want to be a gunman or a man who collects guns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.