Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

What is a reasonable price to pay for a set of ivory grips (the more aged-looking, the better) to fit a Government Model? I would prefer a set without Colt medalions, since these will be going on a Springfield. Thanks.

Wayne Miller

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
$150 on the low end and $250 on the high end.
Medallions won't make a difference in price usually. I caution you though, having bought dozens of sets now for my customers. You get what you pay for. Most of us will only do this once, make sure you are getting what you deserve for your dollar.

I sell hand cut and hand selected ivory in my shop at $250 a pair and I guarantee it to be the best available currently to use on a working gun.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Don't let Dane kid you...guy has more ivory than a warehouse full of grand pianos. While we have not investigated the area behind his home yet, I am hereby starting the rumor that he runs an elephant farm on the side...probably torture trains them to do circus tricks too.

Just took delivery on some ivory from Dane, it is truly fine. Haven't found better, even at a higher price.

Yup, ol' Rupert the elephant farmer. :lol: Wait 'til Alessi hears about this!

·
Registered
259 Posts
The Best Ivory I have ever seen for Colt Autos comes from the shop of Mike Poulin.

Mike owns the original Pre-War templates to make Colt grips and can make them any way you like, although original specs ran from .240-.260, with the goal being .250 thick at the widest point.

I have a set of bark ivory at .240.
They are perfect, and look exactly like original pre-War Colt grips (ie: Correct).

His email is [email protected]
He has a link on Sam Lisker's Coltautos.com site

His work is very very good and less expensive than many other makers of mediocre quality.

He also has access to many different Colt medallions, pre-and post war.

One good way to tell the good grip makers from the posers is that the good grip makers always drill a relief hole for the medallion all the way through the grips....just like original Colts.

Give him a holler. I have seen the grips by Ajax, Art Jewel, Boone, Chesiak, and Alaimo(nutmeg). these are the best, IMHO.......

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It turns out that Mike Poulin is the gentleman I have been talking to. If I take the "white gold" plunge, he will probably get my business. Thanks for the input.

Wayne Miller

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I'll probably get flamed for this, or at least labeled as a liberal but..

do you really want to continue to promote the destruction of elephants for cosmetic reasons? yes, I know ivory looks great, but we all have a personal line we draw...

Seeing a picture of a herd of elephants butchered for their horns and left to rot made an impression on me I guess..

I guess we all have our own personal "line". I won't buy ivory or furs, but will buy leather and shark goods (where is that belt Dane? So I certainly realize I live in a glass house...

Just wanted to raise the issue. I won't give anyone grief whatever their position. Just something to think about, or not I suppose.

Regards,
Francis
Francis, you deleted this? :grin:

There are few good makers of ivory grips. Poulin would seem to be one of the better. I sent him an email myself to see what he has available and to see how his work compares with those mentioned and my own maker.

Having been burnt and forced to "eat" a makers product because I won't pass it along to a customer, I want to see it and use it before I recommend it.

Elephant? I have the same reaction from my wife but at a little more forceful level on the ideas of consevation and preservation.

I am expert but I will tell you some of the facts I do know.

First the elephants of Africa were doing fairly well (not great mind you but OK) up till the time of "freedom" for the evolving African countries. Poaching, and wholesale slaughter (approved of by the local govenments or assisted by them in some cases)of the elephant for ivory is what has hurt the herd populations during the late 60's, all of the 70's and 80's. The other problem is habitat and human encroachment which forced culling. (Culling is the COMPLETE elimination of herds)

The elephant populations are now in better shape (because they aren't over stressing their environments with over population) than they ever have been since the 50's. Anmal management is better. The sad thing is that the bigger tusked animals in many areas may have been indeed taken from the gene pool and never to return because of the wholesale slaughter for ivory.

There isn't any ivory imported into the US (outside sport hunting which puts 10K and UP into the local community and econonmies for their animals) and there is a international ban of all ivory sales.

The ivory you buy now has been in the US for some time. The vast majority of it 99.9% came for legal sources even then.

I understand the concern over ivory and have done some little research on where it came from and how available it is now. The legal supply of ivory will likely dissappear entirely in our life times. Certainly it will for our children. I don't think that is a bad thing personally. But in the meantime I will continue to buy and sell and own ivory myself. The history of the gun is filled with inconsistancies, good and bad. Ivory is one of them.

40 years ago, at 20% of what it costs today and not knowing the origin of the ivory we were getting, I would have done things differently.

At this point IVORY is a part of history. Only my reasoning, but I want to own in my short life time a part of it.

But no question is it a serious and personal decision IMO. My wife owns no ivory and I respect her reasoning behind it. If I had an extra 25K sitting around I suspect I would spend 30 days in the bush looking for the biggest, old, heavy toothed, bull I could fine. Then I'd slowly hand off my 505 to the gunbearer and take a few digitals for the forum :grin:

Well, maybe I would?!!?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-08-13 22:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dane,

Yes, I deleted this, as after thinking about it for a few minutes, I didn't think it would be a post which would produce anything really productive, so I deleted it, or at least tried to... :wink:

I agree with what you say, and yes, I realize the biggest threat to african wildlife doesn't come from the occasional hunter, but from the local governments through habitat destruction, or the local villagers who have little recourse but to poach elephants for ivory and rhinos for their horns to make a living...

I don't fault anyone for wanting ivory, my mother has some jewlery which is ivory, even though it bothers my father (who is a huge conservationist) to no end. It is beautiful, it is a part of history, and it will be gone someday whether you (or anyone else) decides not to "have" it, as others will take what's left.

It's just a damn shame this is how the world works. The africa I read about as a child is gone before I ever got a chance to visit... Elephants, Rhino's, tigers, etc. all hunted for pelts, rites of passage, fertility potions, wastebaskets and piano keys. C'est la vie.

This is far too somber a topic for these forums! I come here for escape. So...

What do you guys think of FLGR for carry pistols... :-0

Just kidding.

Regards,
Francis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.