Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently researching and/or seeking opinions or advice on genuine ivory grips for a 1911 pistol.

Where is the best source for genuine ivory grips?

Should I just ask Dane, since he will be working on my pistols?

I am thinking about getting a pair of smooth ivory grips for general use with my XS Lightweight Commander. I am left handed, so any grips I purchase wil have to be compatible with an Ed Brown ambi safety.

I am also interested in having someone inlay a replica of my agency's badge in a set of genuine ivory grips. I've also considered buying grips with Colt medallions inlaid in genuine ivory grips. Who is the best source for this kind of work?

Also, what is the difference between different types of ivory? I have heard of elephant ivory, walrus ivory, and wooly mammoth ivory. Any significant differences? How nice are the "fake ivory" grips from companies like Ajax? My first thought is not to bother if it isn't genuine ivory.

Another thought I have is that I would prefer to order grips with plain smooth ivory against my body when carrying, and a Colt medallion or badge replica only on the outboard side. I'm a lefty so it would mean plain smooth grips on the right panel and medallions or badge replicas on the left panel.

Anyone have any comments?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a set of smooth elephant ivory grips for my Colt GM from Nutmeg Sports and they look and feel great. They can also make the ambi-safety cut. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Nutmeg Sports/Jim Alaimo rules the ivory
grip trade!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.