Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a couple thousand rounds through my new baby built by John Jardine. So far, not even a hiccup! This is easily the finest pistol I have ever owned.

Colt's Series 70, Brown ducktail, Brown thumb safety, Robar rear sight, Novak front w/tritium, Kart barrel (John also fitted the original Colt barrel so I have a spare), all internal parts are VALTRO including trigger, hammer, sear, disconnector, pins, extractor, etc. The plunger tube and ejector are silver soldered to the frame as nothing irks me more than having those items come loose!

A true gentleman, John has called me about 4 times in the past month to ask how it's running. Customer service extends past having the check clear the bank. I'd recommend John's work and I intend to have him do a repeat performance.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randy Cain on 2001-07-17 23:02 ]</font>

· Registered
87 Posts
AAhhhh, we finally get to see the finished project! Very nice Randy. If I can recall correctly you also purchased a Valtro? How is that running?
Did Jardine countersink the slide stop pin on the portside or leave it standard?
Interesting grip pattern as well.
Enjoy,
EricO (a past, satisfied Jardine customer)

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good eye, Rosco.
We can't slip nuthin' past you. :wink:
I misspoke above (is that a word?) as it is a Wilson "Bulletproof" slide stop.

Brian came to me in a dream. He said that the Robar rear sight was OK after all as he'd 'seen the light.' :wink:

EricO, John tried to talk me into the recessed slide stop. I refused because I LIKE the nipple as a "locater button" on the starboard side as it lets me know that I have my finger off the trigger.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The front strap is 30 lpi handwork.
I picked up the stocks at the SHOT show a few months back. I don't know who made them. :wink:
At the time I bought them, I didn't realize that they were for SA mag well which I'd never want. I will probably change them out as they look a little strange without the customary bevel. Still undecided as I like the pattern and the wood.

Steve, the round count on my guns gets bumped up every time I go to Joe's place. Inevitably someone in the class has a pistol which is not working properly and I end up 'swapping' pistols for the duration of the class before he gets totally flustered and frustrated. I'm left with the student's malfunctioning gun to do any demos I need to do. Such is life! But the student gets to see what a good pistol can do. :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Randy Cain on 2001-07-17 22:55 ]</font>

· Registered
271 Posts
Nice lookin' pistola!! Brian, would have let you slide by, but he would have had to gig you little.

· Registered
893 Posts
Beautiful pistol Randy. I'm taking your Handgun Tactics class here in L.A. in August. Maybe my gun's gonna go belly up and we'll have to swap pistols. :wink: I'm looking foward to the class, now I'll look forward to possibly seeing that nice pistol in person.

· Registered
74 Posts
That is one beautiful gun. If you don’t like the grips I’ll take them off you hands. Those grips are awesome!
Does anyone else know where to get them?

Thanks,
HET

· Registered
552 Posts
As long as questions are being asked, would anyone care to comment on the desirability of Wilson's "Bullet Proof" slide stop? Is it an ergo/tactile thing &/or strength & reliability?

· Registered
259 Posts
RE: BP Slide stops...I love this part..
I have repaced the stops in almost all of my custom 1911's....

It has a pin at max spec .199-.200, machined from tool steel, and the ledge style thumb pad is extremely easy to hit while doing a speedy speed reload.

It is also properly detented from the factory, and is well finished.

Great part, IMO..have never heard of one breaking.

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use the Robar rear sight for several reasons:
4. I do like the sight picture.
3. It's about as snag-free as you can get. No sharp edges, nothing to cut your hands in manipulation.
2. Requires no special milling of the slide. It never made sense to me to cut a slide for a particular sight only to find out later that you didn't like that sight.
1. And the number 1 reason: I already have this sight on most of my other pistols, 1911s, Browning High Power, etc. I like consistency. Only the Glocks wear something else and I don't like admitting that I own Glocks. :wink:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.