Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen

Having just purchased my first aluminum frame 1911, I'm now hearing horror stories of hte ill effects of JHP's on aluminum. I practice with FMJ's, but really want to carry JHP's. Any suggestions for a brand/weight JHP that doesn't damage the frame.

The current pistol is an 80 Series LW Commander but I'm also considering the purchase of a Kimber aluminum framed pistol in 4 inch.

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witherspoon on 2001-10-17 19:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have indeed found that repeated use of JHPs does indeed have an effect on the frame feedway in my Commander and LW Officers (also on a friends Kimber Ultra Carry).

For that reason I carry Remington Golden Sabres in it. I am not normally a big Remington ammo fan but that bullet seems to feed "slicker" than any other JHP in the aluminum guns.

I am not much on "ramped" barrels in the 1911 but the LW guns may be a place for them. Actually I just find myself packing my steel guns more and more.

Food for thought.
Cordially,
Jim H.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr.Zahn-

Great idea. I went back and read the thread and the possibilities sure sound good. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witherspoon on 2001-10-20 21:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
503 Posts
Jim-

Do you have a preference in weight?

Thanks for the help.
----------------------------

I somehow missed this, my appologies.

Yes, I prefer 230 gr. Not that another weight would not suffice.. it is difficult to screw up with a .45 :smile:

Press on!
Jim H.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A similar question that I have been meaning to ask concerning aluminum frames is regarding the use of +P ammunition. I plan on continuing to practice using standard pressure FMJ, but does anybody know if limited use of +P ammunition will compromise the frame? I have a Kimber Ultra Carry, and I just recently read David DiFabio's thread on his tests of various .45 ammunition. I am currently carrying a mix of HydraShoks and Golden Sabers, and I will be dumping the HydraShoks in favor of Gold Dots or Silver Tips, and I am debating whether to go with +Ps. Any thoughts or suggestions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.