Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a couple boxes of this stuff at the gun show today, at 12 bucks a pop. It LOOKS to be the standard SXT bullet, and came in a plain white box. What can you guys tell me about this load?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I had half a brain I would have scrolled a little further down and found the answer to my question :wink:

I think I should go back and scam some more of this stuff tomorrow :smile:

G

·
Justin,
The Q2480 is not the Ranger Talon loading, it is a +P+ pressure loading using the conventional bullet.

The correct part number for the Ranger Talon 127gr loading is RA9SXTA in pre 2000 127gr +P+ and RA9SXTP in post 2000 brown box.

Also, RA9SXT in 147gr. subsonic T loadings.

GA9SSXT in 158gr JHP subsonic T loading in specially marked nickled cases produced under contract run, white box only.

Some additional numbers for reference:
1. .40 S&W 180gr
RA40SXT pre 1999 is the T bullet, post 2000 the loading is RA40T.
Post 2000 standard non-T is the RA40180HP.

2. .40S&W 165gr RA40SXTA, pre 2000 T loading, brown box. Post 2000 is RA40TA

3. .45ACP 230gr RA45SXT, white box T bullet, post 2000 RA45T brown box T bullet.

4. .45acp 230gr+P RA45SXTP white and brown box T bullet at 900fps.

5. .357SIG 127gr RA357SIGT USSS standard issue loading using the T bullet, brown box only.

Uncataloged:

1. 9x23mm 127gr RA923T T bullet, brown box only not available for US Distribution.

2. .45ACP 250gr GA45SXT, subsonic 800fps, carbine loading, white box GOVT contract.

3. .44 Magnum 250gr RA44SXNT, 1,250fps loading for the US Forestry service, brown box uses the T bullet, white box is standard SXT. stamped "approved for carbine use".

4. .357 Magnum 125gr RA357SXTP, full power .357 loading white and brown box both use the T bullet, stamped "approved for carbine use".

5. .300 Win Magnum 190gr GA300RSXTM, 190gr BTHP T loading for special contract run using nickled cases, white box only.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David DiFabio on 2001-08-05 13:06 ]</font>

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, now I'm really confused :lol: David, not to long ago you said, regarding the Q4280:

Yes,
Under the "older" part numbering system this is the Ranger loading with "talons".

Under the new system identifyable by the tan box you need to look for the R designation.
Did you come across some new information or something, that led you to change your mind?

The other thing I might mention is the bullets themselves. They have SIX notches in the tip of the bullet, and to the best of my knowledge the non-Talon bullets, ie the commercial Supreme SXT, have EIGHT.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
5. .300 Win Magnum 190gr GA300RSXTM, 190gr BTHP T loading for special contract run using nickled cases, white box only.
Ahhhhh, Secret Service load perhaps?

G

·
On 2001-08-05 17:42, JLM wrote:
Okay, now I'm really confused :lol: David, not to long ago you said, regarding the Q4280:
Did you come across some new information or something, that led you to change your mind?

The other thing I might mention is the bullets themselves. They have SIX notches in the tip of the bullet, and to the best of my knowledge the non-Talon bullets, ie the commercial Supreme SXT, have EIGHT.
I went to the master product list as the part number has been used three times.
Under the 2000 listing the Q4280 is listed as a standard loading, but they also list a RA9127JHP as a standard loading.
Without the specific lot number or description that you just provided it is very hard to tell.
As to the bullets themselves they can have from 6-10 flutes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Might be, although why they would not go with the proven and certainly adequate Federal Gold Match 300WM load is beyond me. For that matter, they could use the A191 load put out by Crane. Guess they need to be "Special". IMO they are going backwards by going away from the 7mm Mag they used to use, it's a superior cartridge when loaded with 168 JLK's or Bergers, or even the 180's, although you give up a little trajectory for better wind resistance S/F..Ken M

G

·
On 2001-08-05 17:43, JLM wrote:
[quote:1ewbda0l]5. .300 Win Magnum 190gr GA300RSXTM, 190gr BTHP T loading for special contract run using nickled cases, white box only.
Ahhhhh, Secret Service load perhaps?

[/quote:1ewbda0l]

I do not belive so, but it could possibly be for the USSS.
I belive the entire run was built for testing purposes only and is not currently being issued to the best of my knowledge.

G

·
On 2001-08-05 13:50, EchoFiveMike wrote:
The 9x23 Ranger load is not available for US distribution? What's the point? S/F..Ken M
Ken, this ammo was produced for a European police agency that was testing the .38Super and 9x23.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know if this helps or not but the ammo is headstamped with

WCC +P+ on the Top
and 9 5 on the bottom

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also,

Box is labeled on the end:

127gr +p+ SXT (Non-Lubalox Coating)

IE, no 'Black Talon' coating.

Sure looks like the 'gold' talons to me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
David, I ordered a couple of boxes of what was advertised at botach's as "Ranger Talon, RA9SXTP". What I got were white boxes marked 9mm +p+, 127 gr. SXT, non-lubalox. On the top right corner it says "Q4280". I think I got ripped off. Did I? Sam

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sam on 2001-10-08 15:16 ]</font>

G

·
Sam,
I do not believe so, Botach is usually on the level and I would be very surprised to find anything other than you get what you order.

I have several boxes from Botach and as a part of my upcoming 9mm posting I will test and photo along with lot#s.

I am behind on this article as time has been my enemy recently but I will get to it.

G

·
Interesting, but off topic.
The link is not to the requested ammo info.
The RA9SXTP is not the Q4280 loading.

Does anyone have a link to the Ed Sanow article wherein he is reported to claim that the Ranger T expands slowly in the first 8 inches?
I am interested to read it as this is contrary to his articles in both L&O and Police magazine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The story I have heard is the white box stuff is the 127 +P+ ammo made for NYPD who then rejected it. Winchester was stuck with it, some of it is showing up here and there. Similar to but not the same as the other Ranger 127 +P+ loads. In tests I saw of the 127 +P+ the penetration in bare gel, FBI heavy cloth was identical to the Speer 124 +P GD (no expansion given; about 13/19 inches IIRC).

·
Registered
552 Posts
On 2001-10-09 05:55, David DiFabio wrote:

Does anyone have a link to the Ed Sanow article wherein he is reported to claim that the Ranger T expands slowly in the first 8 inches?
Is it the Triton ammo article he had in "Handguns" mag in 1998?

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs1.htm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.