Pistol Smith Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is a forum memeber's newest. He can identify himself if he likes :grin: Enjoy the pictures. You are seeing it before he does :evil: With his permission of course!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-10 19:13 ]</font>

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great, Dane, just freaking great! This is going to make the wait for mine soooo much easier to take. :roll:

Gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing it with us.

David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice work Dane. I'm trying to look on the bright side, guys. Every time Dane finishes one it means mine is one closer to the bench.

The pictures aren't too bad either :grin:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great looking gun Dane! I like the added touch of rounding the corners on the lower edge of the grips. Is the finish stainless or hard chrome?

Tim

·
Registered
628 Posts
WOW :smile: I really like the grips a lot too, very beautiful. At some point in the future, I've gotta have one I think, maybe in 10mm :grin:

-Justin

·
Registered
87 Posts
Beautiful pistol. So, is this one of your packages or was it spec'ed out by the customer? Eventually, I want to get something like that done to my Springfield Loaded 9mm.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Well that has to be the nicest XS/XSE Colt I have seen thus far. Sweet blaster Dane! Only thing is, the polished flats have me day dreaming about my nearly finished Colt... While my slide does't have a rampant pony, it will have a Scottish thistle. :smile:

OK, now who is the lucky member that is going to be taking delivery on that baby???

DD

·
Registered
849 Posts
Desert Dog, That's my gun. It's an 'XS' that Colt sent me to replace a 'new in the box' Cobra (older model 1950's) that they cracked the frame while trying to remove the barrel to fix the front sight. When I first received the XS from Colt I function fired it about 100 rounds to see how it shot..No jams of any kind. I didn't fire it for groups, because I wanted to get Heinie sights installed , and have some work done on it. I didn't like the beaver tail grip safety that Colt uses, and it was a lousy fit also. Dane installed a Barsto barrel, and Master Richard did his magic with the scallops front and back, bordered the slide, and cut serrations along the top of the slide. I haven't seen it yet, other that these photots, but I sure can't wait to shoot it!
Sure does look beautiful! Thanks to Dane, Dick Heinie, and of course Sara, who probably did most of the work! :grin:
Lou

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
OMG that just might be the coolest thing with a "Colt" logo on it I've ever seen... :eek:

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Louis F. Alessi wrote:
Thanks to Dane, Dick Heinie, and of course Sara, who probably did most of the work! :grin:
Lou
Always a pleasure to work with the master, Dick Heinie. Amazing how good Sara is getting at building a real gun :grin: What Luigi didn't mention is the flowers that he had to send to Sara so she would lite a fire under the "back room" :grin:

Either that or Lou is stalking Sara :smile: More info than any of us need I suspect :roll:

The basic metal work was done by Dick, scallops, serrated flat top.

I fitted a match BarSto, cut if flush to the bushing and gave it a recessed crown. Added a Browning recoil system with a 16.5 Wolf and a CP buff. Replaced the beavetail with a Wilson, fitted and melted it into the frame and added Heinie Straight eight sights (working with Colt's mess on the machining in both cases), hand serrated the back of the slide, ejector, and extractor @ 50lpi, recut the high grip and trigger guard, fitted and melted the main to the frame, all by hand, added a 3.5# tool steel trigger system with Vedecki solid trigger. Added a Brown tactical thumb safety and melted it and the Colt slide release heavily. I cut down and hand checkering @ 50 lpi a stainless mag release to replace the nickled one Colt installed. The hand melt included squaring the slide to frame after the barrel was fit. The gun as finished is all stainless and has hand polished flats and a bead blasted frame and rounds. The carry melt included, taking off all the edges from bushing to mag well and everything inbetween in addition to the bottom of the presentation Hogue coco bola grips I picked out for Luigi. Add hex head screws all a round including the mag release. Through in a reliability package since I changed everything in the gun and Lou is set to go (build more holsters for me :grin: ). All pretty standard fare for a BCP best grade gun with the addition of the maestro's special touch from Heinie Speciality.

Thanks all for the comments!

Bob, I still need to shoot your gun AGAIN to get it right..easy big fellow or I'll bill you for the extra ammo :grin:

Lou's Colt is a nice gun now. I wouldn't go looking for another to build on....but those darn old style roll marks are AWESOME aren't they!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-11 20:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
184 Posts
Lugi,
So that's what you are giving me for my birthday!!!!! Thanks Buddy. You shouldn't have.
All the Best,
Rob

·
Registered
849 Posts
Robby,,You're too late,,Oz told me he was buying you a Swenson that's never been fired, and with it comes 10 Seventrees holsters still in the cans..
I wanted to give you that gun for your birthday, but Oz threatened me with physical harm..He said he owes you big time.
Luigi

·
Registered
849 Posts
Dane,,Geez,,you did all that hand work for ME???
Man, when I see you I'm gonna give you a big 'MIKE FORCE' kiss in the ear..A big wet one..That's even after I pay the bill..
I'm gonna have to do a real exceptional job on the next batch of holsters. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Louis F. Alessi on 2001-05-11 23:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
849 Posts
Bruce, and Desert Pup,,Thanks for the comments, and congratulations. I'm sure I'm gonna love this gun. I've had a LOT of custom guns over the years, ASP's, many Devel's, Swenson's
(2), and a lot of 1911's worked on by a number of other lesser known folks. I still have an old steel frame Commander that has a square trigger guard, and S&W 'K' frame sights. I had that one done in the late 70's, and it's still a favorite of mine, but this XS Colt just has a neat look about it..
I'll have to send Sara more flowers I guess. :grin:
Luigi

1 - 20 of 31 Posts