Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice and this is only my second 1911. My first is a Springfield Professional model so that is all I have to compare it to. With that out of the way:

My first impression is those grips look a little too shiny and cheesy. And it looks very much like the SA. The slide to frame fit is not tight at all but is very smooth right out of the box.:grin:

When I got it home I field stripped it and saw that it was dirty from the manufacturer test firing and sighting in.(?) It did clean up quite nicely. And I even got the slide release/stop back in without scratching the slide or frame(yes I am familir with this rookie mistake). The exterior finish is nice and non reflective but seems rougher than the finish on the SA. The night sites are very nice but not as crisp as the Novak's on the SA.

I just got back from the range. I had 2 FTE's in the first 50 rounds (230 gr Speer Lawman FMJ). The remaining 450 rounds went through it slicker than hen sh!t on a pump handle. :grin: I only shot at 10 yards and the gun can certainly shoot better than I can. If I did my part I cut a single ragged hole.
The checkering was finer than the SA and therefore much easier on my sweaty hands. I used the Wilson 8 round mags from the SA and they worked flawlessly. I did not try the mag included with the GC.

I guess that's it. I just wanted to post because I was real worried with all the recent posts about the evil and bad things some other Kimbers are experiencing. I am happy with mine. Sure you shouldn't have to pay a lot of money for a firearm to work. Maybe I got lucky.

If I missed something let me know. As far as swapping out MIM parts and such, I have been advised to just shoot it if it works properly out of the box. It does. :grin:

I am going to get a holster and go to my first IDPA shoot with it next month. Of course I will shoot it more before then.

Edited for poor grammar and clarification.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mookie White on 2001-07-15 16:28 ]</font>

G

·
Mookie,
Congratulations and enjoy your new pistol.
Shoot it, shoot it, and shoot it some more to become very familiar with what you do and do not like.

Then make a list and have Dane clean it up for you to exactly fit your needs.

It takes a while to really learn the charcter of each gun and once you do you begin to see areas where you can improve them.

I wouldn't worry about the other issues.
You won't need to do anything once Dane is through with the gun.

·
Registered
137 Posts
YOu will find this to be an excellent pistol.
Only real major improvement to made, get rid of those worthless Kimer/McCormick Night sights. the angle and lack of serrations not tomention the lack of height are a pain in the ass for shooting. Replace them with Novak bar-dots or Heinie Straight8's and you'll be good.

The checkering on the KGC is 30lpi so not to offend soft hands where the SA has 20lpi. IMOHO the 20lpi is much better, but then I shoot pretty every few days.

I wouldn't run out the door to have any other work done to the 1911. I have found that the GC will do what most folks require of it and more thatn most are capable of, as is the case with most handguns on the market today.

Gotta ask why move from a SA Pro Model to a Kimber? The Pro is a helluva a pistol. At current tariff of Kimber, you could have a custom 1911. Just curious.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will shoot it much more before getting a real impression of, and need to depend on, this pistol.

Nope I haven't moved from the SA to the KGC. I have both and love my SA Pro. I just needed a backup pistol for classes and IDPA. My Pro is becoming my favorite firearm in the safe. But I do like the first impressions of the KGC. I will most likely swap the sites and the grip panels.

I like the SA's checkering but it does chew on my hand when I am swaeting a lot. Especially after several hundred rounds.

·
Registered
41 Posts
goldmatch

hey dude,
i got my new goldmatch yesterday and was very happy with it.no scratches and like you sat it was dirty from shooting at factory.i shot dead on at 15 yards and 20 and was putting them in the circle at 25 yards.i,m amazed at this pistol.which one will we but next.lol.it shot 300 rounds of my reloads also.
cajunman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.