Pistol Smith Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Like many of you, I've been growing more and more detached from the "need" to purchase "gun magazines," the publications not the part.

It would seem that nothing is "junk"; it just "hiccupped" or some such.

"Gun Tests" is OK, but really a bit limited in the number of arms they test before making a judgement. I like them and "Handloader" and "Rifle," but learn more at these boards from actual shooters than the paid writers.

How about you?

Best.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Greetings Mr Camp,,

I agree with you, I dont subscribe to as many of the gun mags as I once did. I still have an active subscription to Handgunner but I dont think I will renew it.

I too enjoy the boards and forums and the information seems to be more current and objective. Sometimes you have to weed out the BS but overall I think we get a better picture.

G

·
Guys,
Maybe I am missing something here but I still like them, I find them to be entertaining and informative. I look forward to columns by Taylor, Rauch, Johnston, and Ayoob, if I left someone out it is not on purpose. I find Ayoob's columns on liability and criminal issues to be well done and on point and Rauch is usaully fairly open (as honest) as one can be when he tests a "junker". I like rifles more than handguns and Taylor and Johnston usually have some good tactical rifle info. I usually find myself rereading a years worth of articles at a time to pick up all of the info that the author wanted to transfer on a certain subject. I find Chuck Karwan's and Peter Kokalis weapon and ammo reviews/recomendations to be solid and on point with my own thinking. One article by Leroy Thompson on travel pre-planing that appeared almost 10 years ago saved me from a bad situation while traveling in South America.
It is true that since Liburel left "Handguns" has dropped off of the deep end of the quality scale and "Guns and Ammo" is pretty poor these days but SWAT is getting better again and Police/Police Marksman magazine are still pretty good.
I liked both Ken Breed and Greg Walkers knife articles and I wish someone would ressurect Walkers knife magazine, Tommy Carter and Randy storm are also good knowledgable writers and I wish they would write some good stuff again.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I think there are a couple issues at stake here. First off the people who do add some value in their printed contributions are needed to further where the industry and developement goes in the future.

The down side to that is the magazines are cash cow operations that do in fact generate the flow and opinions of the industry for better or for worse. Example of a good thing is bring a smith of Vicker's abilities to national attention. Example of clear lunacy and marketing hype is suggesting a 1911 might be worth $10,000.

I have been on both sides of that equation and I can tell you for a fact the magazines make or break you, no matter which side of positive or negative your skill, customer service or quality are on.

I decided things need to change one night reading another droll article my some "recognized expert" that had no idea what he was talking about in print. I remember flipping the magazine against the book case in discuss and looking at my wife and saying, "these guy's are IDIOTS" as she :roll: her eyes at me.

The plus is we have an incredible amount of free information available on the net. The minus is we have an incredible amount of free information on the net. The filter is what you pay for and I suspect bad info published by gun mags is at the same level percentage wise as the overall total on the net.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dane Burns on 2001-05-27 16:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have narrowed down my reading to American Handgunner and G&A Handguns.

This media is like any other - take what you can out of it and take it all with a grain of salt. They are just MEN after all, that write the columns - men with their own opinions and agendas just like the posters in this forum.

I do like the pictures, however !

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Sad part is you guys (Canadians) are getting close to looking at pictures instead of being able to shoot them :sad:

Worse yet, is things could be better in the US too.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Things could DEFINITELY be better here in the USA :wink:
Case in point:

http://www.gunlaws.com/McCainLieberman.htm

I feel sorry for the Canadians, Brits, and Aussies. According to an article in the newest issue of AH, Aus and England now have the highest rates of violent crime in the WORLD! Gun crime is on the rise (it would seem only the law abiding citziens turned in their guns? IMAGINE THAT :wink: ), and the rate of rape is 75 percent higher than here in the United States.

Also, I have heard there is a new 'assault weapons' bill being
introduced in Conneticut. No more AR's or .50 cals (actually you'd have to register) for the folks up there :sad:

Re: magazines. I still read most of them if for no other reason
than to look at the advertisements. I also read some of the regular columns like Ayoob etc. And it was nice to see Dane's
profile in AH as well. I was quite impressed with what I read :smile:
All in all I think magazines are still useful to some extent.

-Justin

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JLM on 2001-05-27 17:48 ]</font>

·
Registered
47 Posts
After firing a 5 round group, the three flyers were thrown out and we found this very attractive little pistol to be very accurate, delivering consistent 4 inch groups from the bench at 10 yards.

Unfortunately, we only had fifteen rounds of unknown origin to shoot through the pistol, and there were three stovepipes, four failures to extract, and seven failures to feed, but given reliable ammunition and a little tweaking, we're sure that this accurate and reliable little .25 caliber hangun will be a valuable addition to the battery of any serious professional.
(re-printed from my imagination)

Sound familiar?
:roll:

There are still some good writers out there, but I'm afraid the days of men like Jordan, Skelton, Keith, Askins, (etc.) are long gone and never to be seen again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ken Cook on 2001-05-28 00:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
118 Posts
Right on Ken. Note that with all the problems, it is still, "I know --- and know he will straighten out the problems in his next production run.I highly recommend this pistol FOR YOU to carry." Good to see your posts.
Jerry

G

·
Ken,
How about this one:
The new PT1-- handgun from ------ is a fine example of the new breed of concealed carry handguns coming to market.
Upon initial examination the fit, finish, and workmanship appear first rate and I would have to say that ------ did their homework in designing this first rate pistol.

Three paragraphs later,
After a quick call to Winchester I repaired (repaired?) to the P--------- ranch for some initial accuracy work.
Accuracy was on par with a short barreled revolver and average groups measured 4" at 10 yards, I did not test the ---- at 25 yards as the --- is aimed squarely at the ccw market and such tests are rarely an indicator of the pitsols true effectiveness. All of the shooters who handled the pistol in the office noted how comnforatable and well designed the pistols grip frame felt in the hand.
Ergonomics were first rate with well placed levers and controls.
Four sentences down:
Oddly enough two of the shooters who shot the PT--- experienced the dreaded "walther" hammer bite and one shooter with fairly large hands experienced an issue where in the slide lock lever came in contact with his thumb and locked the slide open after each round fired.
Our female tester with average size hands had some difficulty in activating the slide from full lock and the magazine release showed a tendency to stick.
On our second trip to the ------ range in -----CA, I had the oppurtunity to shoot the P---- for reliability, using Federal White Box NATO rounds the ------ failed to feed, the first 3rds of FMJ 9mm ammo we fed it. It seemed to be a problem with the magazine follower and given that most shooters will only use premium hollowpoint ammo from one of the top manufacturers reliability should be very good.------ offers a lifetime warranty on their pistols I wanted to verify their claim so I contacted VP of sales and one week later a new ---- arrived.....

And it just continues, seriously though I laughed out loud at your post Ken....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Kinda like the, shall we say, somewhat optimistic evaluations of condition given by some gun dealers: "rifling barely visible through rust...will clean up to mint!" or "As new in box. Fire did not affect temper of metal parts." :lol:

G

·
On a positive note a friend sent me a few years of back issues and I found Chris Pollacks writing to be honest and accurate, he seems to know his way around a firearm and he has some very good training insights IMO.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If I see the words "ultimate," "tactical," "carry," or "mini" in combination with each other or with a caliber one more time, I think I'll go (even more) nuts! Combat Handguns is entertaining, but I HATE the fact that like clockwork, one magzine cover will have the ultimate 9mm, then next month its the ultimate 40, then ultimate .45, then ultimate mini 9, etc, etc. Get real!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.